• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (12 Viewers)

Early morning visit to East Bank Cley produced just one white wag in the cold east wind! a few fulmar and gannet passing. Walsey Hills was a bit better with singing reed warbler, cetti's , willow warbler and a few chiffchaff and just 1 swallow.
2 male Ring O's at Kelling
Back home to warm up a bit now!

A reasonable day on the coast today despite the strong winds. 3 Redstarts and a Tree Pipit were noted at Holme NOA, as well as 7 Tree Sparrows, 10 Bramblings, Yellow Wag, Sand Martin, Sedge Warbler etc, while a male Ring Ouzel was seen at Choseley, as was a cracking Common Crane at Holkham Freshmarsh.

For a full trip report and more of my sightings see my website (Holme page updated with todays sightings, Cuckoo etc.)

Seems a few sites set just back from the coast did well today, with the underwatched Ringstead Downs NWT having 2 Ring Ouzels (1 male 1 female), a male Black Redstart, a male Redstart and a female Hen Harrier! Also 10 Ring Ouzels along the Choseley Road (the one to the village, not to the drying barns I think!) and 5 Ring Ouzels in Holkham Park by the monument...

A Great-grey Shrike was reported by a visitor at Holme on Tuesday (details on my Holme page)...

Cheers,

Connor

I gave in to temptation and popped over for the Eels Foot hawfinch this afternoon... very glad I did, what a cracking bird. The best views I've ever had of hawfinch, and I finally managed to get photos on one :t:

Stonking photos of the Hawfinch on your site Peter. A fantastic looking bird.

Ron

Had bit of a 'jammy' day today;)

I decided to go somewhere different today. My mother last year when we had the Ring Ouzel bonanza saw several ring ouzels (striped oozels Chris M!!!!!:-O) at NWT Ringstead Downs, so I decided to see if I could find my own this morning. I am ashamed to say that I have not been there since I was Connor's age!!!!!, basically because its a bit of a lonely place to go on your own really, so I won't be making a regular habit of it. Its very annoying being female and not feeling comfortable in certain places, but there we go thats the way it is.

http://www.norfolkwildlifetrust.org.uk/nature reserves/map-links/ringstead.htm

Arrived Ringstead Downs at 7.20am. I have very fond memories of the downs as a child, my mother and I used to go there early morning and record on an old tape recorder the dawn chorus and also we used to climb up the valley slopes and watch Hawfinchs!!!!!!!! We used to cycle there in the summer (with my 2 sisters) and have picnics and there used to be goats grazing on the slopes. Anyway I am rambling now;). It was sunny first thing which is why I was lucky I think! It all looked very promising and there seemed to be quite a bit of bird movement, several chiffchaffs were singing, chaffinches chirping away, lots of wood pigeons erupted from the trees. A willow warbler was singing away, song thrush singing, mistle thrush, great tit, blue tit, jackdaws, pheasants in the fields. It is quite a long walk through here all the way to the farm/pond area, I had forgotton how long it was! Heard a green woodpecker, 1 pied wagtail was sitting on the farm buildings, 3 goldfinches in the bushes next to buildings and 1 Muntjac deer. As I walked back round the biggest bend on the track a ringtail hen harrier soared over the valley, seconds after that a stunning male black redstart sat on a tiny hawthorn just to the right of the track!!!!! (8.25am) AND 5 minutes after that an equally stunning male redstart was sitting on the track in front of me and then flew across to sit on a hawthorn and then flitted about in the sun, couldn't believe my luck, I was grinning all the way back to the car;) and there was nobody here but me! 2 pied wags flew over, 2 linnets sitting in bush and almost back to the car a jay bounded over and also a great spotted woodpecker. 2 long tailed tits were sitting prettily in the blackthorn close to the carpark.

Went through Ringstead, picking up newspapers for parents at Holme and then on to Titchwell to meet up with Pete, Graham and Glyn (Lesvos crew in May) for holiday meeting. (10am) Walked round the Fen trail where a blackcap was singing, brambling sitting in a bush with house sparrows. It was a bitterly cold wind now. As we walked along main path, we heard bearded tits 'pinging' and it was so cold when we got to the sea and didn't see anything either, we walked straight back! Had our meeting and then went to Choosely Road, Thornham (1.30pm) to see the ring ouzels but only saw 1 flying distantly! but did have a lovely yellow wagtail sitting in the ploughed field. (we should have stayed longer as a crane was seen from here shortly after we left!!!!!).

Went to Holme Reserves and had fantastic views of both male and female redstarts in the same bush in the paddocks behind pay hut. We had 2 whimbrel fly over near the 5-bar gate. We walked round NWT Forestry and saw absolutely nothing! Then drove down to carparks and went for seawatch where we only saw a few common scooter sitting on the sea! A tree pipit had been seen, but we didn't see it when we went back to look. We then parked by public loos and walked through village carpark to try and find the cuckoo that had been seen earlier, but sensibly the cuckoo was tucked up somewhere in a bush, bitterly cold wind cutting right through us. But we did have lovely views of a white wagtail and a pied wagtail together by T8 (golf flag). Back to car for cup of tea and then Pete decided to drive home. Glyn and Graham (from Leicester) and I then went back to Ringstead Downs as they had not been before and asked if I would show them where it was.

Arrived Ringstead Downs for 2nd stint of the day! 6.20pm. I must admit I didn't think we would see anything, dull and cold and late in the day, but we had a few suprises! Best ever views of a barn owl coming right at us carrying a big vole!!! Glyn then very sharpely spotted a male ring ouzel (6.30pm) on the far side of ploughed field by fence sitting there quite happily (and still there when we came back). We saw a sparrowhawk, kestrel, 20 linnets sitting in tree behind the farm buildings and a swallow which Glyn was very pleased about as it was his first this year. Also a pair of red leg partridge in the fields. Walked back to car, very, very sleepy now, all had a cup of tea and then G and G went back to Leicester and I went back to King's Lynn. Phew!!!

Work tomorrow - bother! and its mean't to be milder tomorrow, it the sun does come out, there will be some goodies popping out of the bushes for you all.:t:

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Just come up on the pager that someone had a firecrest, redstart and a tree pipit at Ringstead downs too!

Last edited:
Nice post, Penny, thank you. You make Norfolk sound so attractive, even when it's freezing. I have been away for a while - what happened to the white-crowned sparrow? Is it still around?
Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Agree

Nice post, Penny, thank you. You make Norfolk sound so attractive, even when it's freezing. I have been away for a while - what happened to the white-crowned sparrow? Is it still around?
Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Dave I couldn't agree more. Penny's posts are a pleasure to read. She really makes her birding day come alive. Its all the little details and her comments
that make it so interesting.
(Penny we shall miss your posts when you go on your Lesvos trip)
As regards the White-crowned Sparrow the last recorded sighting was on March 11th, which would be about the time you would have expected it to migrate north.
Best wishes
Richard

Uncomfirmed report of a singing IBERIAN CHIFFCHAFF at Thornham on 15/4/08. See my website for details (Holme recent sightings page). If anyone is in the area...

Connor

apologies to people I would have normally called, my phone died at about midday while I was out!

BLACK LARK, male at Winterton... :eek!:If only it had been reported earlier, its just a little too far round for me to make before dark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :C

Here's hoping it stays until Saturday (I know its unlikely but...)

Cheers,

Connor

The Black Lark was enough to get me out of the garden and north of the border to Winterton. A surprisngly enjoyable twitch, not least because I met a friend I haven't seen in almost ten years. The bird wasn't half bad either. Congratulations to the finder; that's one hell of a mega.

As a PS, I suspect the bird might be hard to pin down tomorrow. This evening it was showing intermittently in sandy areas amongst the marram grass, with everyone watching from a reasonable distance. The clear skies won't help either, even if they're supposed to be diurnal migrants.

Last edited:
Dave I couldn't agree more. Penny's posts are a pleasure to read. She really makes her birding day come alive. Its all the little details and her comments
that make it so interesting.
(Penny we shall miss your posts when you go on your Lesvos trip)
As regards the White-crowned Sparrow the last recorded sighting was on March 11th, which would be about the time you would have expected it to migrate north.
Best wishes
Richard

Thank you Dave and Richard for your kind comments. You won't miss my posts really:-O as I am only going to Lesvos for 1 week!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Thank you Dave and Richard for your kind comments. You won't miss my posts really:-O as I am only going to Lesvos for 1 week!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for that Penny. That's good news for us anyhow. No doubt too you will have a write up on Lesvos. Good luck with the trip.
Best wishes
Richard

reports on the pager say that the black lark has not been seen again since the initial sighting just after 7am... but there's now a male subalpine warbler at Winterton.

edit - and now a wryneck too... I guess there are a fair few birders there today.

And now the Subalpine has disappeared with no further sign (still) of the Black Lark, although the Wryneck's still there. Its all go at Winterton - just imagine what else is hiding along the coast that may never be found!

Working in Stalham last night so gutted to hear the Black Lark was confirmed (a text received during my tea break at 10pm!). Headed down for dawn(ish) and had great views between 6.10 and 6.30ish as it fed in the open. Left at 6.45 to get some more sleep before heading off to work once more (in about 10 mins!).

Stunning bird and a great year and county tick! Still no further sign of the lark or the Subalp though as I write this (10.51) but Wryneck still and a Hoopoe just north of village came on a little while ago.

Good luck to anyone who hasn't been yet!

Chris

Hi All
What a fantastic day!
After a short visit to Great Yarmouth, Paul and I walked around Martham Broad where we had two different Bitterns in flight. A Spoonbill was sitting on the muddy spit with Greylag Geese as Cetti's Warblers sang all around us.

After some refreshment in The Nelson's Head we started to drive to the north coast when the car had to be diverted to Winterton Dunes. Upon arrival with only a few birders present, we watched a BLACK LARK fly over the dunes towards the sea. Wow! We were lucky as it flew back and got great views in the scope.

In the evening we walked to Rush Hills scrape where Ruralchill kindly pointed out eight Little Gulls flying over the Black-headed Gulls at the back of the scrape.

Some days it is just good to be in Norfolk!
Sue

day that had just about everything yesterday, woke up groggy, hungover and not enamoured with the persitent easterlies and drizzle that had produced a few ring ouzels on the patch but drowned out any viz mig.

Thought this is going to be a long day but enlivened with a ring ouzel flying over behind beeston bump and landing briefly - (still thre today), next onto Walsey where things began to pick up, lots of Blackcap and Willows and Chiffies, great view of a Cetti's, some locals found another Ring Ouzel, walk up to the Hangs revealed little except a good flocxk of Yelowhammer.

Next found another Ring Ouzel, this time a beautifully scalloped female in a paddock behind Salthouse. The drizzle didn't seem to be completely letting off but spirits were high as we headed down to the Water Meadows. We were initially greeted by a very bedraggled Swallow, but then a cracking sooty Spotted Redshank and a Ruff with plumage resembling a Pink Floyd lightshow. Suddenly the rain stopped, an it wasn't that the sun came out but it was almost as if the pressure lifted. Suddenly two spiffing Blue-headed Wagtails appeared out of nowhere, a Whitethroat rattled, a Willow Warbler flicked about, the Swallows increased and were joined by Sand Martins and a House Martin, A Ring Ouzel hopped about on the back fields, a Wheatear appeared that soon increased from 1 to 3 to 4. The Blue heads flew off but were replaced by two Yellows and a splendid Male White Wag. Little did we know that probably at this moment a tired passerine that had been blown from some Khazhstani (sic) mountains was making first landfall on the some east coast dunes.
We dragged ourselves away and Gramborough produced little and went on to Muckleborough Hill to look at 6 Ring Ouzel, but i was restless, at the moment i was explained to my mate that i needed to be walking, looking for new birds the maga alert went off on the pager ... and the rest is history

based on the fact that these winds are blowing straight from the Russian steppes went out this morning hoping for Guldenstadts Redstart or Raddes Accentor, if not that then at least White Winged Lark or Pallas's Sandgrouse - drew a blank on them but viz mig was interesting with everything currently flying the wrong direction - east and increasing numbers of hirundines and linnets + a non local Med Gull and Ring Ouzel.

I was down in Suffolk when the first message of the black lark came on the pager, I had to pick up kids and take them home before I could make the mad dash for Winterton. I got up there at ~6:45 and was on the bird ~10 minutes later, we watched it on and of until ~7:15 then headed for home. What a superb bird, attached is an extremely poor record shot...

Attachments

• blacklark_4655.jpg
    blacklark_4655.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 161
A brief sally to East Hills this afternoon failed to produce the hoped-for mega of megas. The anticipation was there, as ever, as I trudged slowly out across a very slippery track, the wind still brisk and chilling. However, once there, the best birds were found quite quickly- 2 Firecrests in the sycamores at the east end. Around a half dozen Chiffchaffs, a couple of Willow Warblers, female Blackcap, 2 Black Birds (!), 2 Song Thrushes and a close perched Peregrine made up the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back