• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northampton where's best (1 Viewer)

badapplegill

Going to Northampton for a couple of days in the week so just wondered if anyone could give me any ideas of where to go and what I'm likely to see.

Many thanks
Gill

For the latest rare bird news, have a look here:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/northantsbirds/

There are quite a few sites near Northampton that can be good at this time of the year. Within the town there's Clifford Hill Gravel Pits (roughly between Riverside Park and the Bedford Road, south of the river). This has a good selection of wildfowl and waders, Kingfisher, Little Egret and there's often a Caspian Gull there.

Between Northampton and Wellingborough is Summerleys Country Park. This has similar birds to Clifford Hill but has more birding infrastructure e.g. lots of hides and a feeding station, which is good Tree Sparrows.

To the north of town is Pitsford Reservoir, which is a large area with lots of birds. A lot can be seen from the causeway between Holcot and Brixworth, but you might want to walk along the trails to the south side. The north side is not officially supposed to be open to the public but you can get better views of the Scaldwell Bay from the bottom of the 'old road' which is on the right and up the hill from the causeway, heading towards Brixworth.

If you've got further questions or more specific requests then let me know. I live in Scotland but grew up in Northampton, so know the sites well.

Hi there,

I'm trying to find out which Counties still use the Watsonian Vice County system to record birds in and which go by whatever the political boundary may change to (and why).

The Watsonian Vice County system was set to accurately record and compare historical and modern data and it seems that there can be/is confusion when some counties no longer use this system whilst others do. Does anyone in your county have a view on this ? Discussion here if anyone has a comment:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=142074

ps this is not about getting more or less county ticks, more a question about uniformity in recording.

Johnny Allan

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back