• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Conquest HD warning in Aussie? (1 Viewer)

aussiewatcher

Hi all.I just wanted to share an experience I have just had with a Zeiss product.
I must say first off that both the local Australian retailer and the Australian service agent have been extremely helpful and nothing was too much trouble--kudos and thanks to you both.
To set the scene I purchased a pair of Conquest hd 8x32 from a local mail order retailer a few months ago.
I was aware of the eye relief issues but thought I would just give it a go and see how I went (as I do not wear glasses).
To cut to the chase,I have just ordered the longer eyecups that Zeiss provide for the Conquest HD for comfortable viewing without eye glasses.

If you live in "The Great Southern land" you will be charged $80 a pair of eye cups plus freight--!
Cheers-Eric

Eric:

Welcome to Birdforum.

That does seem a bit high for eyecups. I think you got charged for something that
you should have been given for free. Zeiss has acknowledged some users need another
choice so they should provide this alternative eyecup. Your Zeiss contact in Australia
should know that, he certainly did not have to pay for any of it.

I have the Conquest 10x42, and in the US they just send them out gratis for those who request them.

Jerry

Eric:

Welcome to Birdforum.

That does seem a bit high for eyecups. I think you got charged for something that you should have been given for free. Zeiss has acknowledged some users need another choice so they should provide this alternative eyecup. Your Zeiss contact in Australia should know that, he certainly did not have to pay for any of it. [my emphasis]

I have the Conquest 10x42, and in the US they just send them out gratis for those who request them.

Jerry
Eric, also welcome, and thanks for passing on the info.

As to whether Zeiss Australia is charged (by their parent company) for something given away free to customers overseas? Of course they are! Australian wholesale prices and parts charges are usually marked up enormously in comparison to non-Australian prices (often the wholesale price in Oz is higher than overseas retail prices). Until recently, our retailers simply slapped a very generous markup on that, charged the money, and knocked off to the golf course. Where else were we going to buy?

It was a great system, much preferable to working for a living. But not so much fun for retailers when suppliers are maintaining their high prices, while customers are ordering from overseas. Rather than negotiating a better deal with suppliers, most of our retailers are lobbying the government to protect them.

Suppliers and retailers are fighting a desparate rearguard action to keep the "old model" in place, in the face of widely available international e-commerce. They'll lose, and they know it, but they're fighting to maintain as much of their fat margins as they can, for as long as possible. That might be longer than you'd think - especially if, as seems likely, they can get government support to do so.

[/RANT]

...Mike

Hi and thanks for the warm welcome.Yes it does appear that Zeiss Australia are actually charged for the longer eye cups, so of course you can understand why they must pass it on to the consumer,quite understandable.
But from my perspective its a bitter pill having to spend another $80+ above the initial price of the binos just to achieve a nice immersive and comfortable view without wearing glasses.
I truly expected more from Zeiss International.
Thanks for listening!Cheers--Eric

Conquest long eyecups normally free of charge in Oz

I have been investigating this incident with the help of contacts in Zeiss Germany (Eric has not replied to my PMs) and the facts that I have been able to find are as follows:

It is normal for the Zeiss Sports Optics local partner in Australia (Outdoor Sporting Agencies of Melbourne) to supply the Conquest eyecups free of charge to the dealer.

In this case the eyecups were requested by the dealer to be supplied on an urgent basis and were shipped from Zeiss Germany, free of charge to OSA who then had to pay local charges such as import tax, handling and the urgent transhipment over the 600 miles from Melbourne to Sydney.

It is normal for transport companies to charge extra for shipments that are required to be made in a shorter than ‘standard’ time for example overnight shipments or guaranteed to be delivered before a certain time the following day etc. OSA passed this extra charge on to the dealer and the invoice was for AUS$25 (approx GB£12 or US$18).

Why the dealer then charged Eric AUS$80, more than double the charge from OSA, is not known.

Lee

Hi Lee--Sorry about the delay-- have just got home from an overseas trip to NZ (and yes, we did a little birding along the way--very enjoyable).
Please check your pms!
Thank you so much for your investigation of this matter--will keep you posted!
Kind regards-Eric

Hi all, Upon talking to my local retailer I am pleased to say that the eyecup issue has now been satisfactorily resolved .There appeared to have been some miscommunication at various levels along the way with my order.The bottom line is I should not have been charged in the first place. The importer is now aware of the slip up, and of course will ensure this wont happen again.

So, after using my Conquest HDs birding and general use both in Australia and NZ, I can without reservation state the views through these are absolutely drop dead gorgeous and am more than happy with my purchase!

Thanks to you all for your interest and support for a birding newbie, its been very much appreciated. And its good to know that a big company like Zeiss actually takes notice!

Zeiss is still number 1 for this little black duck!

Cheers-Eric

Hi all, Upon talking to my local retailer I am pleased to say that the eyecup issue has now been satisfactorily resolved .There appeared to have been some miscommunication at various levels along the way with my order.The bottom line is I should not have been charged in the first place. The importer is now aware of the slip up, and of course will ensure this wont happen again.

So, after using my Conquest HDs birding and general use both in Australia and NZ, I can without reservation state the views through these are absolutely drop dead gorgeous and am more than happy with my purchase!

Thanks to you all for your interest and support for a birding newbie, its been very much appreciated. And its good to know that a big company like Zeiss actually takes notice!

Zeiss is still number 1 for this little black duck!

Cheers-Eric

Great News Eric

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back