• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Warranty in Australia (1 Viewer)

Rathaus

Hi all,

I have one of the last runs of 10x40 BGA T*P* which has developed a half turn of mechanical slop in the diopter dial. It's whole right side objective also lags in focus movement. It's an issue which is starting to irritate me so I contacted Zeiss Australia service headquarters which are in Melburne. The reason I'm utilising the warranty is because they're defective, but they're great binos, not cheap, not too old and in mint condition otherwise. There is also a sentimental value with some things such as this.

The one and only Zeiss Australia rep informed me that that typical Zeiss warranty was ten years, and wasn't sure if these would still be coved. He said it was doubtful. Also, I would have to pay a minimum of $90 Aus freight.

The bins would then be sent to Germany for assessment and I would possibly be quoted on a repair. The Zeiss Australia rep then informed me of a private repair service that could possibly fix the zeiss at my own cost, and that this was the easiest option. I told him that I was happy to utilise the possible warranty service.

He voluntarily stated that he definitely would not bother proceeding if the binoculars were 'West German' Zeiss...which obviously they aren't.

This is a process which I am intrigued to follow through. I informed the chap that I had five pairs of Zeiss binoculars and I hadn't needed to utilise any warranty before. I informed him that I had utilised the Swarovski warranty for binoculars within Australia, and that the warranty period was huge, the service was entirely free and I was offered an option of various high end loan binoculars for the duration of the process. The Zeiss rep informed me that "we don't do that stuff".....fair enough.

So, as a Zeiss enthusiast and owner, I'm looking forward to documenting my first time experiences with the Zeiss warranty process. Also, any advice or assistance which others can offer would be much appreciated. These binoculars were a gift to me. Feb 2006 is scribed on the yellow warranty card...but they could have been new older stock.

Regards,
Rathaus

Last edited:
Hi,

well if they were bought in 2006 (production date is irrelevant) you should be fine even with a 10 year warranty - let us know how this goes on...
I hope that these will come back to you repaired and free of charge.

Regards,

Joachim

Hi,

well if they were bought in 2006 (production date is irrelevant) you should be fine even with a 10 year warranty - let us know how this goes on...
I hope that these will come back to you repaired and free of charge.

Regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim. Yes, that date on the warranty card prompted me into action too. There's just something about that whole era and series of zeiss which really suit my eyes. I hope it works out ok.

Cheers,
Rathaus

Maybe not of much help to you, although you might be able to use this information to ''shame'' Zeiss Aus. to cover the work.........Zeiss Canada uses a 2nd party repair / warranty company [Gentec] and they will repair any Zeiss binocular, free of charge, no matter how old, no matter how many owners.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back