• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Magee Marsh bird ID's (1 Viewer)

Peacefrog2

The following two birds were photographed at Magee Marsh (Ohio, USA) in mid September. I would like to ask ID opinions on them. Please include the logic behind your ID.

Thanks,

Greg

Attachments

• Warb01.jpg
    Warb01.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 118
  • Warb02.jpg
    Warb02.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 98
  • Gull1.jpg
    Gull1.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 98
My thought was Herring Gull on the gull as well, nothing else seemed to fit. On the warbler, what led you to Blackpoll, I had something else in mind.

Greg

I agree with Blackpoll and Herring Gull.

Blackpoll because of the streaking on the back, faint streaks on the breast, and the fact there is a yellowish-greenish wash on the breast which becomes white near the belly and undertail coverts. On a Bay-breasted, you would expect a more uniform wash and little-to-no streaking.

One other thing: this bird appears to have dark legs and feet, which would suggest Bay-breasted. But this doesn't necessarily confirm Bay-breasted. The way I understand it is that if the Baypoll has yellow/pale feet, then it's a Blackpoll, but if it has dark feet then it MAY be a Bay-breasted. In other words, sometimes Blackpoll Warblers can have dark feet.

I would tend towards Bay-breast.

The side of the neck is yellowish, the bill looks too heavy for Bpoll, the throat is nearly white and the soles of the feet are dark. Also, there seems to be a hint of bay along the flank and the dark centres visible on the mantle are shown by basic adult female Bay-breast. I have banded alot of this complex and the soles of the feet is remarkably reliable, as well as bill size and undertail [not visible in the photo].

Overall, just has GIS of Bay-breast.

Thanks for your input! To me the bird appears to lack streaking on the breast and it also appears to have the green on the sides of the neck as opposed to the grayish side of the Blackpoll Warbler. Undertail coverts also appear whiter to me than the expected yellow of the Blackpoll Warbler.

The illustrations in the Sibley Guide to Birds appear to match Bay-breasted much better than Blackpoll for this bird.

Greg

I would tend towards Bay-breast.

The side of the neck is yellowish, the bill looks too heavy for Bpoll, the throat is nearly white and the soles of the feet are dark. Also, there seems to be a hint of bay along the flank and the dark centres visible on the mantle are shown by basic adult female Bay-breast. I have banded alot of this complex and the soles of the feet is remarkably reliable, as well as bill size and undertail [not visible in the photo].

Overall, just has GIS of Bay-breast.

You're right, there does appear to be some faint remenance of bay on the flanks.

Agree on Bay-breasted over Blackpoll for above reasons.

RE: Blackpoll feet - here's BNA Online:
Legs And Feet

Legs pale orange-yellow, darker on sides in female and paler in juvenal. Legs may be dark in fall immatures (Basic I plumage). Soles of feet orange-yellow in all ages

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back