• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 10x50 SL-BA Porro Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Gregory Sargean

You can have my porros when you pry them from my c
RFI: Swarovski 10x50 SL-BA Porro Binoculars

What are these? I can't find any information on them. They certainly look odd.

PID38483.jpg

Last edited:
Gregory Sargean said:
What are these? I can't find any information on them. They certainly look odd.

PID38483.jpg

They are great porro prism binoculars from 10-20 years ago. I found some with a yellow cast and some without and with perfect image.
Waterproof, stronger than a tank.

Hi,

The SL line of binoculars is optically similar to the traditional Habicht porro product line.
They are rubber-coated, introduced today's swaro ergonomics (large thumbs relief). They have a front-located focus wheel, a very heavy-duty hinge.
As Otto mentioned, they are waterproof and can be dropped without suffering much damage.

If you intend buying one, be sure to check for wear in the focusing mechanism (eyepiece must move back and forth while focusing - if not mechanism is broken). Besides, the prism coatings have a tendency to peel ; have a reverse look through the objectives to check for optical cleanliness.

I have a 7x50 item and had a 10x50, both very nice for star-gazing ; test-benched a few others, too. the view is perfect, except for a little geometric aberration. The 7x items have a very narrow field.

Best regards,
zp.

ZeNiTh-PbArM said:
Hi,

The SL line of binoculars is optically similar to the traditional Habicht porro product line.
They are rubber-coated, introduced today's swaro ergonomics (large thumbs relief). They have a front-located focus wheel, a very heavy-duty hinge.
As Otto mentioned, they are waterproof and can be dropped without suffering much damage.

If you intend buying one, be sure to check for wear in the focusing mechanism (eyepiece must move back and forth while focusing - if not mechanism is broken). Besides, the prism coatings have a tendency to peel ; have a reverse look through the objectives to check for optical cleanliness.

I have a 7x50 item and had a 10x50, both very nice for star-gazing ; test-benched a few others, too. the view is perfect, except for a little geometric aberration. The 7x items have a very narrow field.

Best regards,
zp.

The SL series also has remarkably uncomfortable eyepieces, that are unusable by eyeglass wearers to boot.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back