• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown gull - Bahrain (1 Viewer)

Mark, Dosn't look like the heat has got to you mate,but it certainly got me. Very interesting gull,looks like i jumped in too quick with SBG. I hope it is proved to be BHG as would be good for AJ, being a first. Sorry if this is confusing to people, i havn't learnt to "quote" others posts yet!..... P.

Mark, Dosn't look like the heat has got to you mate,but it certainly got me. Very interesting gull,looks like i jumped in too quick with SBG. I hope it is proved to be BHG as would be good for AJ, being a first. Sorry if this is confusing to people, i havn't learnt to "quote" others posts yet!..... P.

Just hit the quote button on bottom right and fill in the bit underneath ;)

Sorry for the wait, here are this mornings pictures.

Attachments

• D3A_2165_800.jpg
    D3A_2165_800.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 56
  • D3A_2205_800.jpg
    D3A_2205_800.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 66
  • D3A_2206_800.jpg
    D3A_2206_800.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 61
  • D3A_2207_800.jpg
    D3A_2207_800.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 49
  • D3A_2208_800.jpg
    D3A_2208_800.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 60
Hi Folks

Wing pattern is Slender-billed first winter > first summer or even Black-headed, though the new outer secondaries suggest the latter ?, a delayed moult. Image 2, structure still looks ok for BHG but the bill here and in further shots look slimmer than the original image. Have an idea why the eye looks so large and dark, or other features mentioned before.. maybe its sick ..

But there's no getting away from that wing pattern....

Interesting to hear what others suggest.

Mark

Never trust these 'ugly moulters' - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=116754

Last edited:
Sorry but my post was as usually written too fastly and in English...as you may ubnderstand reading well, I written there was far too white on the webs of primaries for any brown and grey headed gull, then I concluded that it was a brown headed...but was a mis-writing (or tiping) for Black headed (a lapsus calami as the Black headed is actually brown indeed :-8....

In fact I was saing that even if odd and hugly, was a Black headed larus ridibundus, looking similar to the rare Grey and BROWN headed but being NOT

Larus genei not for sure.... P10 and P9 with too much black on inner web, wrong alula and PC pattern, wrong dark area on head (at most a bit of darkish line over nape usually but mostly only darkish ear-spot), too broad and full and short bill fathering on upper mandible, just a bit loger then the feathering on lower mandible, too dark iris and too big, too darkish legs and bill etc.

so, Larus ridibundus in horrible plumage as I meant on the first post I written

Sorry but I have to leave as my Internet time has run out. I'll be back later when I get back to Saudi. :t:

He is Howard, and I'd have to agree, we've kind of run out of options!

Note to oneself - Must stop looking at Gull threads ;)

Glad you made the effort though Howard & AJ, its very useful reference, there are some excellent shots, we live and learn..

We enjoyed ourselves - the bird incidentally was quite active - however the water is about 90% sludge and only 10% actual water so.... mind you its full of other species that seem to be thriving.

hahaha!

so cristian was right from the begining...
this is definitely a black-headed gull. actually it should have been the only option with that bill shape/colour and the white outer wing. sorry for having been misleading here. it is no hybrid!
1st summer gulls are among the 'worst' chapter in larid ID since they have the most worn plumage, - therefore - no need to stop looking at these beasts, mark, and, we all have been betting on wrong horses, howard ;)

cheers,

We enjoyed ourselves - the bird incidentally was quite active - however the water is about 90% sludge and only 10% actual water so.... mind you its full of other species that seem to be thriving.
You speak for yourself, you didn't have to drive through all that sludge. The wife's going to have a right job washing it all off. (Good job she doesn't watch this website.) :-O

Well Cristian, looks like you were right and i was wrong.Talking generally about gulls,the large white headed ones mainly, is it just me, or does any body think that, the more we learn about them the more questions they raise? P

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back