• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moray birding (1 Viewer)

Whoopers, Lossiemouth.

I was visiting Lossiemouth and there is quite a large flock of Whooper Swan, c200, in a field about 400 yards towards Elgin on the A941, they were there Saturday and Sunday. Grid ref NJ 22974 69079. Lots of family groups noticed.

Jim.

Attachments

• DSC_0068.jpg
    DSC_0068.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 65
Can anyone send me a private message with the code for the hide at Findhorn ? I had it before but seem to have lost it when transferred to the new phone, many thanks

Jim.

Lossie area, New Year.

Happy New Year all. I was in Lossie for the weekend, (bit late posting I know), and managed a couple of quick outings during family visits. Lossie estuary busy with Wigeons etc, and a small flock of 5 Snow Buntings which passed through rather quickly, and bit too far for decent photo. Godwit of some description, think it may have been Black-tailed, Goldeneye, Teal, Redshank, Dunlin and the usual collection of Gulls.
Loch Spynie had c15 Whooper and a nice flock of Long-tailed Tit along with all the usuals, Blue, Coal, Great. also Great Spotted Woodpecker, and fleeting raptor crossed in front of hide left to right, looked like Sparrowhawk but not confirmed. 2 x Water Rail were showing quite well on the feeder to the left of the hide as were 2 x Red Squirrels on the right hand feeders.
Good numbers of Geese, Curlew and Whoopers in various fields around the area, especially on road to Lhanbryde. Couple of pics.

Jim

Attachments

• Snow Bunting.jpg
    Snow Bunting.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 51
  • Long-tailed Tit.jpg
    Long-tailed Tit.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Water Rail.jpg
    Water Rail.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 57
  • Red Squirrel.jpg
    Red Squirrel.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 28
Hi all
I'm in Speyside from 1st May for a week & hoping to vist Portsoy for WB Diver & Brora for Harlequin (I know this is not Moray!), but while in these areas, I was wondering if there were any spots nearby you might recommend for Black Guillemot & Puffin.
Many thanks
Geoff

Heading up to Findhorn for a week from the 18th to 25th. Last year I managed to dip on Rose-coloured Starling and Spoonbill. I see the Spoonbill has given me a second chance (is it an annual visitor?). Where abouts in the bay is it often seen?

Last year I tried using the hide, but wasn't very experienced back then and saw next to nothing. Any other recommendations for where to go birdwatching in the bay, or nearby would be much appreciated. Would quite like to see Crested Tit, but think they are perhaps further inland? Honestly anywhere nearby that gives good birds would be good, as last year I didn't see much. Osprey was brilliant though...

Heading up to Findhorn for a week from the 18th to 25th. Last year I managed to dip on Rose-coloured Starling and Spoonbill. I see the Spoonbill has given me a second chance (is it an annual visitor?). Where abouts in the bay is it often seen?

Last year I tried using the hide, but wasn't very experienced back then and saw next to nothing. Any other recommendations for where to go birdwatching in the bay, or nearby would be much appreciated. Would quite like to see Crested Tit, but think they are perhaps further inland? Honestly anywhere nearby that gives good birds would be good, as last year I didn't see much. Osprey was brilliant though...

Try Roseisle, just along the coast for Cresties. Usually reliable.
Also best to buy Gordon Hamlett's excellent book, for birding sites.

Last edited:
Hi Gus,

If you want to see a sample chapter from my book with no obligation (unedited and without maps), send me a pm with your email address.

Thanks to John for the plug.

Cheers

Gordon

Late afternoon at Loch Spynie, plenty Geese, Whoopers about the area and on the loch. Light was fading when the Water Rail made an appearance, also a murmuration which went to roost on opposite side of the loch.

Jim.

Attachments

• DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC_0016.jpg
    DSC_0016.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC_0020.jpg
    DSC_0020.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC_0024.jpg
    DSC_0024.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 82
Little Auk found dead at Findhorn dunes (500m east from car park, bottom of the very large dune by the path, next to sea) over the weekend, no rings, so left it. NH052648

Last edited:
Egret loch spynie

Great White Egret flying East to West yesterday around 3 o'clock. Photo to follow when I get back to my laptop tonight. Bittern had been entered in book but no luck on that.

Very well done Jim... a super picture to get too.

Wonder if that's the same bird that was at Kinnordy last year?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back