• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild in Aberdeen - City and Shire (3 Viewers)

New to birding and new to this forum. I live in Oldmeldrum - not a particularly notable area for birds but I'll do my best! Looking forward to contributing. Mike

Trip to the Ythan Estuary yesterday. A fine day but with a cold, biting wind. Plenty of "the usual suspects" to be seen and entertained by cormorants and heron catching and swallowing some pretty large fish in midstream at Newburgh at low tide. Spotted some Long-Tailed ducks in the distance heading upstream and returned a couple of hours later to confirm them just off the yuppie flats (!). Further upstream - a Little Egret and plenty of waders including a nice Greenshank just off the Waulkmill Hide.

Had a first visit to Johnstone Gardens for 30 odd years today. Grew up round there so it was nice to see the very tame Mandarin, my first in Aberdeen.

I would add some poorly taken iPhone pics if I knew how to!!

Haddo House yesterday afternoon. Beautiful day again but another biting wind. Just a quick walk around the lake. 29 species seen - nothing particularly special but a nice general selection of water fowl, passerines and buzzards. Always worth going during the quieter "off-peak" hours. Weekends are when the grounds play host to seemingly thousands of dog wakers and mums with pushcairs and toddlers.

I wonder who designed the two hides at Haddo? Either a dwarf or someone with a spine deformity apparently.

Harlequin being reported today in Aberdeen, can anyone confirm this is still the seaton park bird, and is it still in same location? I didn't get a chance to catch up with it last time but heading to the area on Wednesday. Any info much appreciated.

Thanks in advance Dave

Took yesterday off and went up to Troup Head to see the Gannets and try and add a few more ticks to the list. Beautiful sunshine but blowing a hooly. Found a "quiet" spot and enjoyed a couple of hours just watching. (Sorry, pics not great. I don't have a lot of fancy gear).

Attachments

• Gannet - Troup Head (9).jpg
    Gannet - Troup Head (9).jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Gannet - Troup Head (3).jpg
    Gannet - Troup Head (3).jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Gannet - Troup Head (8).jpg
    Gannet - Troup Head (8).jpg
    390 KB · Views: 69
Responding to an alert for a King Eider somewhere "on the Ythan" yesterday morning but didn't see one. We were mainly in the "bus shelter" near the 18th tee at Newburgh golf course. Haar was also quite thick. Anyone else get any luck?

Couple of hours round Loch of Skene on Tuesday morning got the following ;
Dunnock, Reed Bunting, Great, Coal, Blue & Long-tailed Tit, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Rook, Magpie, Black-headed, Common & Herring Gull, Buzzard, Red Kite, Goldcrest, Chiffchaff, Robin, House Sparrow, Oystercatcher, Woodpigeon, Coot, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Starling, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Pied Wagtail, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Wren, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Mute Swan, Whooper (1) also Collared Dove on the way home atop a lamp post. Couple of images, one of a pair of Goldcrest, Buzzard and the ' resident ' Whooper. He/she's been there a few years now, I first seen it 3 years ago but he was there before that I think. Damaged wing apparent.

Jim.

Attachments

• DSC_0064.jpg
    DSC_0064.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC_0080.jpg
    DSC_0080.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC_0077.jpg
    DSC_0077.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 60
An Aberdeen first for me (in 14 years). 1 Raven NE towards Holburn Junction over Gt Western Road, not very high up, at 15:31.

Cheers

Technically this isn't Aberdeenshire as such but a friend and I saw a nesting Raven pair (with three chicks!) in the cliffs at the St Cyrus NR this past weekend.

There were some spectacular aerial "battles" between the Raven and a cruising Buzzard (the Buzzard lost them all of course).

Hi Mike,

That's interesting. Having seen the bird I immediately leapt to the NE Bird Reports. While there are a few lowland records in Aberdeenshire, it's a fairly unusual occurrence. I'm rather chuffed, as when I lived in Wales I used to see them every day over my house, which is one thing I do miss. The only missing thing this time was the call. The bird was apparently not calling, but seemed to be just bombing along to get somewhere.

Cheers

Loch of Skene

After putting one up for id at Loch Mallachie, look what turns up at Loch of Skene this evening. Apart from the Sandpiper nothing much new, circa 6 Swallow and a small flock of Sand Martin over the South side

Jim.

Attachments

• DSC_0103.jpg
    DSC_0103.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_0104.jpg
    DSC_0104.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 49

Users who are viewing this thread

Back