• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common buzzard and Rough-legged buzzard? - Norfolk, UK (1 Viewer)

paulrowe

From yesterday. I think the other bird flying with the CB is a RLB as the wing markings and shape of the bird in flight look different.

Could be very wrong though so grateful for ID.

1st 4 pics (distant but you can make out shape and markings)

http://www.essexbirds.com/cley/h1c9ff549#h1c9ff549

thanks

Paul

PS

Also grateful for anyone with with a minute to spare to confirm my suggested IDs for rest of gallery.

Hi!

Didn't find any errors during a quick glance through your gallery. However, both buzzards here seems to be Common. The subject bird being a light variant.

Edit: I think your Meadow Pipit is a Rock Pipit also.

Last edited:
Agree with OlaB. For RLB you'd want to be seeing prominent dark carpal patches and definite dark (distally) and white (proximally) on tail. Typically look longer-winged than CB, especially if seen together. Some pale Commons can look very like Roughleg at quick glance!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back