• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

No more classic dialyt 8x56 (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the insight Lee, and it does make sense as I see a lot of 32 mm Conquests in the field now, more than many of the other alphas.

So, in Zeiss's case, they are making it on volume rather than margin.

Thanks for the insight Lee, and it does make sense as I see a lot of 32 mm Conquests in the field now, more than many of the other alphas.

So, in Zeiss's case, they are making it on volume rather than margin.

Not only that James, if you think back to Mike Jensen's rather 'corporate' explanation of Terra and Conquest a couple of year ago, he described Terra as a 'gateway' line.

In other words, a line to introduce Zeiss bins to folks, and from Zeiss's point of view, give them a step on the ladder that leads to Conquest and ultimately Victory models.

So Terra can be seen as much as an investment in future Conquest and Victory sales as much as anything, and if you consider the question of developing a top tier model like an SF32 you can see that it could make sense to do the Terra line first, in the expectation that having experienced Terra there will be more folks willing to buy an SF32 by the time it appears.

This is all based on my recollection of Mike's comments at the time and one thing missing from this explanation is any consideration of other development projects that might be taking place as well.

Lee

Last edited:
Ed,

Old Swift lover, don't forget the Austrian Habicht since 1948.

Yes the Habicht is the daddy in this regard. Anything else today been produced longer?

I picked up a mint late model 8x56 Bgatp last year...I got the soft and the hard case. Honestly, the best thing about this binocular is how it looks and feels. Aesthetically It borders on the ridiculous but in a great way...like a couple of Swiss horns. It's probably the only binocular I would enjoy looking at through another binocular. The 8x56 view is very sweet but has such a narrow fov and small sweet spot. I can't really see any advantage it has over the equivalent Zeiss 7x42 Bgatp, whereas the 7x42 has many advantages. I see no advantages of the 8x56 for dimly lit objects. For reference, According to my optometrist My pupils dilate to 6mm in a low lit room and 7-8mm in the dark.

Still, somehow I really like the 8x56. I'm planning to take them to the symphony or an opera...mainly to embarrass my family hehe

Rathaus

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back