• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

. . .una chinita barriendo e patio . . . Almost swept away (1 Viewer)

janvanderbrugge

Hello all,
While checking my etymological information on the famous Palm Chat of the Dominican Republic I saw some wonderful pictures of this species and also nice comment on those. One of the reactions I considered interesting for presenting it here. I first give the references from my own files, then the Spanish text, with my translation. For good understanding: this is a colonial breeder, the nests are in quite a few numbers in a big community building, mostly in royal palms. The title of this topic is from an Argentine folk song: Paisaje de Catamarca, the line says: "a servant girl sweeping the court" . . .
Cheers, Jan van der Brugge

[from my files]
Dulus dominicus (Tanagra dominica Linnaeus, Turdus palmarum Linnaeus, D.palmarum Vieillot, Arremon palmarum G.R.Gray, Tanagra mancipium Hermann, D.dominicus oviedo, Turdus gujanensis Gmelin)
(Palm Chat, Palmchat / Sigua Palmera)
(Palmtapuit / Palmschmätzer, Palmschwätzer, Palmenschwätzer / Esclave palmiste, Oiseau palmiste)
[Le Tangara de S.Domingue (Brisson, Ornithologie, 3, p.37, pl.2, fig.4). La Grive de la Guyane (Buffon and Daubenton, Pl.Enl., pl.38, fig.1, for Turdus gujanensis). Tanagra esclave, L’Esclave (Buffon, Hist.Nat.Ois. (ed. Impr.Roy.) 5, p.21). Haitian Chatterer (Cat.B.West Indies, p.24) Sigua palméra (Notes Birds San Domingo, p.364).
Die domingische Merle. Tanagra dominicana. (Meidinger, p.72)
(vern. Sigua palmera, Sigua de Palma, Oiseau palmiste, Esclave [Hispaniola]. Cigua palmera [República Dominicana].)
D.dominicus oviedo (D.dominicus Bond) = Dulus dominicus

[From a photo forum of the Dominican Republic, in less correct Spanish:]
José Miguel Pantaleón Inoa: "Esta cigua estara feliz con este foton que le has hecho amigo! Realmente pocos nos acordamos de ella y la miramos hasta con desden en los montes jajajaja, por lo abundante que es.
Realmente es una cigua esclava y de ahi su nombre de Dulus = esclava, que no es mas que la obsecion de estar siempre cargando palitos y esclavas de arreglar su nido todo el tiempo. En estos dias se desprendio un nido de una palma y por poco mata a una senora que estaba barriendo su patio. El nido estimo yo, pesaba mas de 200 libras. Lo se porque habian pichones y me llamaron. Es el ave mas trabajadora que han visto mis ojos!! Ojala todos los dominicanos fueran tan hacendosos como ella.]

Translated: "This Palm Chat will be quite happy with the picture you made of her, my friend! As a matter of fact few of us take notice of her and even look at her with some disdain in the mountains, because she is so common, haha.
She is really a Slave Cigua, which gave her the name of Dulus = slave, which is only the obsession of always loading twigs and slavery work to continually arrange her nest. These days a nest came loose from a palm tree and nearly killed a woman who was sweeping her court. That nest must have weighed, estimated, over 200 pounds. [. . .] This is the hardest working bird my eyes have ever seen. Oh, if all the Dominicans were as diligent as she is!"

So, cuidado, guárdate bien, watch out at a visit to the Republica Dominicana!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back