• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange Call - Loughborough Woodland (1 Viewer)

altsel

starting in spring 2019 up to around September 2019 and again recently my wife and I have heard what we assume is a bird call that we have no idea what the origin is, we have assumed it is a bird.

The rear of our house butts up to a private woodland that we do not have access to, over the past 12 months we have heard a sound from the wood,generally in the morning, but also at other times during the day- we have
not been able to record the sound.

In a Nutshell it is 5 short, consecutive sounds that one may possibly liken to being produced on a child's recorder woodwind instrument .

wuww wuww wuww wuww wuww- the first wuww is a slightly higher note.

does anybody have any idea as to the species please. Thanks

Have you tried Xeno Canto for bird calls/song, that’s what I would do, and I’d start with Tawny Owl, just a suggestion. You might have to sample a good few from different locations, if no joy there, then start with other owl species then hopefully you might connect with the call. If that fails, use your phone to make a recording and put it on here. :t:

Cheers

Maybe Great Tit? Strange calls in wooded areas that I then spend ages following up invariably turn out to be Great Tits - a phenomenon that I have since read about on here, and in books and magazines.

The sound is more like a south American pan-pipe instrument in tone, not in anyway shrill much deeper. we hear it often but never see it. Stock Doves we don't have, Woodpeckers we do but its still a mystery> Any more ideas please?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back