• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Not so good service in UK (1 Viewer)

dandsblair

David and Sarah
Supporter
Just had final offer from Zeiss on damaged rubber on 12 year old 10x40B T*P*. They say that they can no longer get the rubber parts for these binoculars despite a 25 year guarantee, the engineer at the service centre admitted he had a pair in the seem state so it does seem like a manufacturing problem albeit made worse by quite heavy wear and tear.
Best they could do was offer £400 off conquest 10x (not really interested in trading down) or a pair of Victory HT x 10 for £1145.

When I contrast this with Swarovski who with similar wear and tear on Sarah's EL's, on the same age binoculars sent them to Germany and she now has them back good as new with just a small charge for a focus adjustment under £80 it is chalk and cheese.

I have been a Zeiss fan for around 30 years but if they can't source parts for a 12 year old binocular who is to say that the Victory offer in 10-12 years won't leave me in a similar position. I also seriously question whether a 25 year guarantee is worth the paper it is written on.

I intend to just get my bins back and run them into the ground before making a decision on whether to jump ship to Swarovski, Nikon or Leica.

Does anyone have any tips on how I could treat the rubber to stop it getting any worse?

Just had final offer from Zeiss on damaged rubber on 12 year old 10x40B T*P*. They say that they can no longer get the rubber parts for these binoculars despite a 25 year guarantee, the engineer at the service centre admitted he had a pair in the seem state so it does seem like a manufacturing problem albeit made worse by quite heavy wear and tear.
Best they could do was offer £400 off conquest 10x (not really interested in trading down) or a pair of Victory HT x 10 for £1145.

Hi Blair

So sorry to hear about this problem.

This was my main bin for many years and I have to say that maybe you should re-consider the Conquest HD. I am by no means convinced it would be trading down as I think it is brighter, sharper and has a closer focus.

The price for the HT is a darn good offer too.

Not that this really helps you with your dear old Dialyt.

I would go for the HT if possible but the Conquest is a lovely piece of kit.

BTW you would need to describe what is happening to the rubber armour before anyone could advise on it, preferably include a pic.
Lee

Zeiss [in Canada] seems to be able to fix and / or source parts for most any model, free-of-charge, even 40 year old Oberkochen porro's.

I would keep pressing them, as even if GB doesn't have parts, other Zeiss repair facilities should. There are still under warranty, and that should mean something. If they really can't fix them, a free replacement with [at least] a Conquest should be in order.

Warranty service seems largely luck-of-the-draw - which region, who you talk to and how persistent you want to be. If I was you, I would persist and insist that the warranty be honoured. For a model as widespread as the Classic 10x40, there should be an ample supply of rubber-armour parts available.

I sent my 10x40's into Zeiss USA last year to have them cleaned and lubricated, and they determined that parts in the focusing mechanism needed to be replaced. They were sent to Germany for the repair, because from what I was told, those parts were no longer available in North America. I also have friends with 10x40's and 7x42's that have had theirs sent to Germany for repairs in the last couple of years, so maybe replacement parts are beginning to get slim, but there should still be parts available somewhere. Zeiss US has always done whatever necessary to satisfy any concerns I have ever had, and its amazing that there seems to be so much difference in service level depending on country, with apparently many manufacturers.

Even if this is the case, Zeiss's warranty states, "Carrying straps, lens caps, rubber armoring, plastic parts and similar accessories are warranted against defects in workmanship or materials for a period of 1 year from the date of purchase." So, you may be getting a good deal with the money off offer, but if this is a problem that is covered under warranty, which with them offering you money off a current binocular maybe it is, it should be replaced by something comparable. I think the conquest hd would be their current comparable offering in both performance and price, according to original purchase value. Push the issue, try to make them find the parts for a repair or replace them free of charge.

Last edited:
Bit of a contrast with my recent experience of Zeiss. I took my 15 year old Dialyt 7x42 BGA T*P* to the Zeiss stand at the Bird Fair in August, because the focusing had become increasingly stiff before finally seizing completely. They spent a whole day trying to free the focusing mechanism before conceding defeat...then they took them back to their factory and, three weeks later, they were back with me - complete with replaced focusing spindle, carrying strap and re-armoured too.

cheers
martin

Hi Blair

So sorry to hear about this problem.

This was my main bin for many years and I have to say that maybe you should re-consider the Conquest HD. I am by no means convinced it would be trading down as I think it is brighter, sharper and has a closer focus.

The price for the HT is a darn good offer too.

Not that this really helps you with your dear old Dialyt.

I would go for the HT if possible but the Conquest is a lovely piece of kit.

BTW you would need to describe what is happening to the rubber armour before anyone could advise on it, preferably include a pic.
Lee

Thanks for view, I did like the HT but worry is that in 10-12 years time I'm in the same position if Ziess only keep parts for a limited time.

The rubber is crumbling on the front left near the focus wheel and on the focus wheel itself, I can't post a photo yet as the bins are still with Zeiss.

Thanks very much for all the advice and particularly for the PM's giving me some contact details of Zeiss people who could help. I've been in contact and await a response.

off to Germany

Just had helpful phone call with guy from Zeiss, bins are off to Germany tomorrow. Here's hoping:t:

I sent my 10x40's into Zeiss USA last year to have them cleaned and lubricated, and they determined that parts in the focusing mechanism needed to be replaced. They were sent to Germany for the repair, because from what I was told, those parts were no longer available in North America. I also have friends with 10x40's and 7x42's that have had theirs sent to Germany for repairs in the last couple of years, so maybe replacement parts are beginning to get slim, but there should still be parts available somewhere. Zeiss US has always done whatever necessary to satisfy any concerns I have ever had, and its amazing that there seems to be so much difference in service level depending on country, with apparently many manufacturers.

Even if this is the case, Zeiss's warranty states, "Carrying straps, lens caps, rubber armoring, plastic parts and similar accessories are warranted against defects in workmanship or materials for a period of 1 year from the date of purchase." So, you may be getting a good deal with the money off offer, but if this is a problem that is covered under warranty, which with them offering you money off a current binocular maybe it is, it should be replaced by something comparable. I think the conquest hd would be their current comparable offering in both performance and price, according to original purchase value. Push the issue, try to make them find the parts for a repair or replace them free of charge.

Your quote on the Zeiss transferable warrantee about "plastic parts" having only a 1 year warrantee had me just a little worried, since i just bought a used but mint 7x42B/GAT*P* this past Sunday.

The focusing "bridge" connecting the two occular bases, and also appears the focus wheel and eyepiece bases to be made of plastic. (bases on a coin tap sound test)

.....but then i felt better because these are made of "reinforced glass fiber", so i should be all set! :t:

Your quote on the Zeiss transferable warrantee about "plastic parts" having only a 1 year warrantee had me just a little worried, since i just bought a used but mint 7x42B/GAT*P* this past Sunday.

The focusing "bridge" connecting the two occular bases, and also appears the focus wheel and eyepiece bases to be made of plastic. (bases on a coin tap sound test)

.....but then i felt better because these are made of "reinforced glass fiber", so i should be all set! :t:

You worry too much - I have never heard of this bridge breaking so I would just go birding and forget about it. What good is a bin that you are too afraid to use?

You worry too much - I have never heard of this bridge breaking so I would just go birding and forget about it. What good is a bin that you are too afraid to use?

James,...you miss my sarcasm in that post. I was JOKING!

I had it out today in fact, becuase i got a late start and knew i'd be in the woods near dark.

Today was the latest i've ever been able to see reasonably well, and I was amused for over 10 minutes near dusk with a noisy larger variety of chipmonk on a qo foot treelimb, chastizing me for my presence.

I'd never noticed how his/her "squeaking" coincided exactly with the flicking up tail movements. It almost seemed as if his tail was creating the chirps or squeaks? (reminded me a bit of a rattlesnakes tail making warning sounds?) I just never cound see the sound seem to appear from his mouth???

Anyway, rest assured i will be using this glass, amd am not afraid to be using it!

One thing about the nridge on these,......i DID read a post recently on this forum where Zeiss DID replace at no charge this very part. So they can break in use.

.....but i will deal with that should it ever happen to me.

Update - Good and bad bits

Just a quick update for anyone who encouters the same/similar problem.
Binoculars went off to Germany but parts couldn't be found. So I was made an improved offer
1) get Conquests for the cost of repair (they couldn't be repaired as no parts)
2) Get Victory HT for cost of reapir plus a fee, effectively get the HT at cost.

I went for the HT's, only problem was a delay at the factory, so a month wait after paying before the bins arrived. I was told a change in greasing at the factory.
Bins finally arrived this week along with the rainguard and strap from the the old bins, assume the rest is being used for parts. So far so good with new HT's albeit I have only used them twice briefly once in low light where they were noticeable better than previous bins or Swarovski EL's.
I' m looking forward to using them this week-end.

I have a few question on how others users attach the lens and rainguard, I have it on left side with front guard attached but seems a bit odd, also is their an optimal position for the eye cups?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back