• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blyth's Reed Warblers et al, summer ringing '06 (1 Viewer)

hannu

I opened this year's ringing summer in last night, when
I ringed 4 different birds and also different species :
River Warbler 1
Grasshopper Warbler 1
Marsh Warbler 1
Blyth's Reed Warbler 1

Now I must to go sleep, because I slept only 1,5 hours in last night....

Last edited:
hannu said:
I opened this year's ringing summer in last night, when
I ringed 4 different birds and also different species :
River Warbler 1
Grasshopper Warbler 1
Marsh Warbler 1
Blyth's Reed Warbler 1

Now I must to go sleep, because I slept only 1,5 hours in last night....

Hannu, a nice variety indeed. Please send any of these over the north sea - I have not ringed a bird in 7 days here, very quiet (although a Red-backed Shrike did perch on the mist net pole in the garden this evening!).

regards, Paul

Thanx Jan and Paul,...

Marsh warbler was the first obs in our area this year.
I have to concentrate to catch more those Blyth's Reed Warblers,
so I'll try to ring them at least 20-30 individuals in this summer. I'll go to place where are several Blyth's Reed Warbers in one little location, if the weather is good in next night...

I catched 3 singing Blyth's Reed Warbler from one place in last year.
Also I met one singing Blyth's Reed Warbler in the middle of the August few years ago, which is quite unusual, because main part of the singers stop their singing after the mid-July. Probably very desperate individual ;-)

If I only listening (not catching them) these night singers, I can heard over 20 singing birds in best night (mainly Blyth's Reed Warbler).
Night singers are the best of Finnish bird fauna, at least in my mind.

Paul, you have to check your places after the second or third week of June, if there would be some nice singing bird....

Maybe some of you have difficulties to understand the situation of our ringing possibilities in relation to birds mentioned above.

Night birds, which two birders heard during two nights in one local municipality (place where I ringed):

Grasshopper Warbler 4
River Warbler 1
Blyth's Reed Warbler 8
Marsh Warbler 1
Thrush Nightingale 8
Water Rail 3
Corn Crake 3
Common Quail 1

Every day will migrate new birds to the area (next 2-3 weeks) ...

Some birders visited in Russia near the border of Finland few years ago and they heard many hundreds birds in one weekend....

Last edited:
I ringed 5 Blyth's Reed Warblers in last night.... very interesting individuals few of them. So the ringing sum of this summer is now 9 birds/4 species...

Last edited:
I have a good trip in yesterday morning after 3.am. I ringed two singing males of Blyth's Reed Warbler in the morning and just I was leaving from the area, I heard singing Blyth's Reed Warbler in one place. So I stopped my car to the side of the road and I started to walk towards the singing bird. It was great surprise that there were 3 singing males and probably one female.The place was very very good. So I decided to come back in the evening.
So the evening came and I started to ringing birds. First case was very difficult to catch and I have to move net's place 3 times before I caught up it. The bird was very snappish male, which pecked me all the time. When I walked in the side of the ditch, I noticed that some bird jumped to flight in the middle of the grass area. So I decided to search the area and I found nest, which probably belongs to Blyth's Reed Warbler. There were 4 whitish eggs with brownish spots. I have to check the place later again.

Story will continue later....

Last edited:
So I heard a new one siging male from different place near the former ringing place,so it was 4th male on the patch. I walked near the new singing place, set up my bird net and started to playing their recorded song and immediately the bird was on the net. So that was the 2nd ringing of that place. I returned on the main place and I started to set up my net and not so many minutes, I caught the 3rd male on that patch.
So after that, I moved my net to the new place, in one males singing territory and I started to trap the last one and it came quite quicly to my net. So I ringed six (6)Blyth's Reed Warblers during 24 hours. Now I have ringed 12 Blyth's Reed Warbler in this summer.

Last edited:
I was ringing in last night and I found totally 6 Blyth's Reed Warblers. I caught 4 males and 1 female Blyth's Reed Warbler, but one bird was not local bird.
Female have some incubation patch, which refers to breeding bird. Also that bird gave warning with male near the catch place.
Now I have ringed 17 Blyth's Reed Warblers in this summer.
I have to sleep a little bit, that I have strength enough to continue my trapping next night.
One photo from this morning ...

Last edited:
hannu said:
I was ringing in last night and I found totally 6 Blyth's Reed Warblers. I caught 4 males and 1 female Blyth's Reed Warbler, but one bird was not local bird.
Female have some incubation patch, which refers to breeding bird. Also that bird gave warning with male near the catch place.
Now I have ringed 17 Blyth's Reed Warblers in this summer.
I have to sleep a little bit, that I have strength enough to continue my trapping next night.
One photo from this morning ...

Well done Hannu, I admire your stamina! Bit quiet on Fair Isle at the moment, as we are covered in fog, but there is a nice south-easterly blowing so if the fog clears we might have some birds. Maybe a nice rare acro ;) Paul

Thanx Paul !

Birders have observed over 70 Blyth's Reed Warblers in our province and males may sing only one day if female come quickly to the area. So it would be difficult to observe all birds, because breeding males have stopped singing! I have a plan to catch also Marsh Warbler in next night. I have to visit some places, where breeds Reed Warblers, so I can get more comparision data from these relative species.
Wing formula of Blyth's Reed Warbler, see photo....

Last edited:
hannu said:
males may sing only one day if female come quickly to the area. So it would be difficult to observe all birds, because breeding males have stopped singing! ....

Ah, that might explain something - rather rare in LT, but get them on local patch. However, they appear to 'disappear' as many years as not, singing for just a few days, then seeming to vanish.

Jos Stratford said:
Ah, that might explain something - rather rare in LT, but get them on local patch. However, they appear to 'disappear' as many years as not, singing for just a few days, then seeming to vanish.

You may have more than you thought Jos! Oh, by the way, congratulations on putting up with Mr H (just watched the trailer on Wildsound TV). ;)

I came just home my 13 hours birding trip and I catched 8 birds :
Blyth's Reed Warbler 5
Marsh Warbler 1
Sedge Warbler 2
Also I found Blyth's Reed Warbler's nest, where was 2 eggs.
So the breeding has begun lately.
I took about 400 photos in this trip, as in usually.

I heard about the one BRW case, where male had song only a half hour,
so they can be quite invisible.

I ringed totally 7 birds in last night.
Blyth's Reed Warbler 6
River Warbler 1.

I ringed also female Pied Flycatcher from my nestbox and there seems to be chicks also.

Last edited:
I catched 4 Blyth's Reed Warblers and 1 Marsh Warbler in last night. Catching the Marsh Warbler was nightmare, because I have to change net's place 4 times.

Last edited:
I just controlled my ringed male Pied Flycatcher, which breeds also in last year in my nestbox.

Last edited:
I was ringing in last night and it was best night in this summer. I ringed totally 11 birds, of which 9 were Blyth's Reed Warblers and 2 Marsh Warblers. Also I met young Jackdaw, which did not fly so well....

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back