• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler in Amman, Jordan? (1 Viewer)

PaulWWagner

I saw this bird today in a park in Amman (two photos attached). It was very energetic and difficult to photograph. Lively singing, too.

My initial guess was an Eastern Olivaceous Warbler (Iduna pallida), but the undertail coverts are too long and the shape and color are off (should be paler grey-green if Olivaceous). So maybe a Reed (A. scirpaceus) or Marsh (A. palustris)? But I have no idea how to tell them apart!

If the attached images don't load, here is a URL to the photo.

Attachments

• P4131033.JPG
    P4131033.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 153
  • P4131029.JPG
    P4131029.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 118
As you suggest it's an Acro...pp appears to be 2/3rds of overlying tertials..probably scirpaceus...can you recall the song? If there was a general ''tirri-tirri-tirrit'' often interspersed...I would reckon Reed Warbler as being the most likely candidate.

cheers

I see some primary emarginations that would look odd on an Acro and the undertail coverts don't seem to be a no-no for EOW imo.

I see some primary emarginations that would look odd on an Acro and the undertail coverts don't seem to be a no-no for EOW imo.

Either that or...P5 over-shadowing the rest..giving the impression of emarginations being in the wrong place?

Presumably EOW assumes paler/sandy upperparts as it ranges East?

Presumably EOW assumes paler/sandy upperparts as it ranges East?

Where does that come from Ken?

If the subject bird is a Reed warbler, then it is the palest returning Spring bird ever ;) .
Seriously the bird completely lacks the richer tones of Reed warbler, the lores look quite pale and the central tail feathers looks shorter than the rest of the tail. It is not easy to see whether or not the emargination on P3 is real, but it is at the right place for EOW.

Where does that come from Ken?

If the subject bird is a Reed warbler, then it is the palest returning Spring bird ever ;) .
Seriously the bird completely lacks the richer tones of Reed warbler, the lores look quite pale and the central tail feathers looks shorter than the rest of the tail. It is not easy to see whether or not the emargination on P3 is real, but it is at the right place for EOW.

I concur completely...that the bird does not have the more rufous tones that one would normally associate with RW..however I have never seen RW in that neck of the woods..(can they appear/are paler?)..I for one don't know.

However, having looked at image 2..for the first time!..I believe it does look more Hippo than Acro.(must fire less from the hip!) and your probably right.

Thank you, all, for your insights. It was singing nearly non-stop. The song was not a general ''tirri-tirri-tirrit'', but quite varied and lengthy.

I guess I'm not up to speed on the acronyms...what does P3 and P5 mean...?

Imagine..you have a wing spread..in your hand, looking at the 'leading edge' you'd probably miss p1 (primary1..very small!) which Is circa half-way down the wing ..however..If you then move to the end of the 'leading edge', you will see what should be called P1 (as it's pretty obvious..the outermost finger), then count back in sequential order along the trailing edge, until you hit the secondaries (probably after about P7).

Hope that kinda gives a crude understanding of how it works?

My interpretation..might just give an expert the pre-requisite to jump in with a more biometrical answer.

Cheers

Thank you for the explanation, KenM. Very helpful!

I think I'll stick with EOW, though the markings around the eye as shown in "Birds of the Middle East" by Porter and Aspinall don't seem to match this one.

Thank you, all! I'll be exploring a wadi around the Dead Sea this weekend, so hoping for some interesting sightings!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back