• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cormorant ID, California (1 Viewer)

bobsofpa

The below photographs were taken at Moss Landing State Beach, California on 4 June 2007.

These appear to be juvenile Cormorants. Adult Pacific coast Cormorants are confusing enough to us Easterners. My best choice would be First Summer Brandt's Cormorants. Need verification/correction.

Attachments

• 607-07691fem Juvenile Brandt's Cormorant.jpg
    607-07691fem Juvenile Brandt's Cormorant.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 607-07692fem Juvenile Brandt's Cormorant.jpg
    607-07692fem Juvenile Brandt's Cormorant.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 93
Youre right, it is a Brandt's Cormorant. You can tell it from the Pelagic cormorant by its much thicker bill and lighter colored chin than Pelagic. You can tell it from the Double-crested by its darker neck and chest and darker bill than DCCO

I also agree with Brandt's. These photos are good enough you can actually see the beginning of the face / throat pattern. Pelagic also has a longer tail than the other two, which is helpful for telling them apart. I like using the neck to separate the cormorants as well - Pelagic has a pencil neck; Brant's is thicker; Double-crested has the thick neck with a kink in it when it flies.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back