Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special ‚Äď Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mallorca 2018

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Saturday 17th March 2018, 12:15   #301
bob freeman

Martin as promised here are the head shots of the decapitated mammal from the Bishop track.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	head-of.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	466.7 KB
ID:	656379  Click image for larger version

Name:	heads.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	518.3 KB
ID:	656380  
Old Saturday 17th March 2018, 13:33   #302
Mike Montier

Beautiful shots of the harrier Bob. I must upgrade my bridge camera as they never focus on birds in the air, which during migration times, most of them are!
Any suggestions for a decent camera and lens? Mike
Old Saturday 17th March 2018, 15:08   #303
Clive Griffin

Congratulations Bob & Patrick on some super photos. I was at Albufera yesterday, but missed the Harrier. I spent most of the time at the Bishop hide, hoping to see Bob's Spotted Crake and Bluethroat, but didn't see them either! That's birding, have to be in the right place at the right time.
Old Saturday 17th March 2018, 17:27   #304
bob freeman

Thanks Mike , Clive ,there was also a German chap in the hide when the Harrier flew through with a massive Nikon Camera, if he connected with the bird he will have got some great shots believe me.
Mike I would recommend maybe a Canon 7d2 DSLR along with a Canon 100-400 MK 2 Lens,a great combination but it does not come cheap.
I always buy used if possible and you can pick up some great kit on the Birdforum Classified Page.
This is quite a lightweight set up and very fast for birds in flight.
I am sure Nikon will have the equivalent set up but I don't know much about them.
Just sorted some shots from my first day up at the Formentor viewpoint with the Accentor and the Blue Rock Thrush.
You guys are sooooooo lucky to be based out in Majorca,lashing snow outside here now in South Shields .
Camera wont be seeing daylight for some time believe me.

Cheers

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BF-A1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	361.1 KB
ID:	656399  Click image for larger version

Name:	BF-A2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	300.1 KB
ID:	656400  Click image for larger version

Name:	BFAA3.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	656401  Click image for larger version

Name:	BFRT1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	656403  
Old Saturday 17th March 2018, 17:31   #305
Mike Montier

Some fabulous shots Bob. I have made a note of the camera and will look into it, I need something not too heavy so that sounds good.
It’s very frustrating because I often get migrating raptors full frame in my camera, only to find when I get home that every single one is out of focus. The joy that good photos would bring me would probably justify the cost. Mind you, I haven’t looked yet! Mike
Old Saturday 17th March 2018, 17:35   #306
Mike Montier

Very high cold winds here in the south-east but I managed a couple of hours Seawatching. Thousands of shearwaters were having fun and it was very entertaining. Mixed Balearic and Scopoli’s although the Balearics outnumbered the Scopoli’s by about 6:1
What really strikes me is just how variable both species are, the Scopoli’s ranged from grey upper parts, through a fawn colour to rich rufous. I had no idea they could be so different, another ID headache! Mike
Old Saturday 17th March 2018, 17:39   #307
Mike Montier

Rubbish photos but just to demonstrate the variation.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1C793BA7-8357-4D0C-BA5D-C1D7DCEC3281.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	656406  Click image for larger version

Name:	6720B076-57A6-4D3B-B8DE-9DF029DF26DE.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	656407  
Old Sunday 18th March 2018, 09:18   #308
Clive Griffin

Hi Mike, I have the same Canon kit that Bob suggested and it is a great combination for flight shots. Very rapid focus, and you can select groups of focus points making it easier to focus on a flying bird. The 7D mark 2 body also has dual processors which allow faster multiple exposures. As Bob said, it doesn't come cheap, but if you look for secondhand, the earlier 7D body is worth considering.
Old Sunday 18th March 2018, 09:24   #309
Clive Griffin

Also Canon do frequent cashback promotions, there was £215 cashback on this lens this winter, but unfortunately this not currently available, but it's worth checking these promotions if you plan buying later.
Old Sunday 18th March 2018, 10:28   #310
Clive Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Griffin View Post
Congratulations Bob & Patrick on some super photos. I was at Albufera yesterday, but missed the Harrier. I spent most of the time at the Bishop hide, hoping to see Bob's Spotted Crake and Bluethroat, but didn't see them either! That's birding, have to be in the right place at the right time.
Tailking of Harriers and being in the right place at the right time reminded me when a juvenile Montagu's Harrier dropped in front of Bishop 1 hide in September 2009. I was digiscoping with a 4 megapixel camera back then but got some frame-filling shots. But still gutted about missing the Hen and Pallid in the last few days!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Montagu's Harrier_N7750.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	848.9 KB
ID:	656478  Click image for larger version

Name:	Montagu's Harrier_N7763.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	864.0 KB
ID:	656479  
Old Sunday 18th March 2018, 14:53   #311
bob freeman

Lovely shots you got there Clive, just to show that anything can turn up and if your luck is in then its fantastic.
I liken the opening of a shutter in the hides around S Albufera to opening up a Xmas Present, you never know what you are going to see, sometimes you are disappointed and other times exhilarated .
Next batch attached were from Lluc Monastery which we visited to get some Vulture views, on the day the Black Vulture were visible but very distant ,then the local Firecrest put on a great show, the Male bird was feeding the Female with big juicy caterpillars but too quick for me to get the shot.
Nevertheless the best views I have ever had or ever expect to have of these smart little birds .

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BFFC1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	325.4 KB
ID:	656516  Click image for larger version

Name:	BFFR2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	656517  Click image for larger version

Name:	BFFC3.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	464.6 KB
ID:	656518  Click image for larger version

Name:	BFFC4.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	656519  
Old Sunday 18th March 2018, 15:18   #312
bob freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
Very high cold winds here in the south-east but I managed a couple of hours Seawatching. Thousands of shearwaters were having fun and it was very entertaining. Mixed Balearic and Scopoliís although the Balearics outnumbered the Scopoliís by about 6:1
What really strikes me is just how variable both species are, the Scopoliís ranged from grey upper parts, through a fawn colour to rich rufous. I had no idea they could be so different, another ID headache! Mike
Mike how close in do the Shearwaters come and what is the area called where you go to do your seawatching,is it the Southerly point were the lighthouse is called Cap Salines ?
I only ever visited the area where you get the Flamingo and wader which if I remember rightly was was Salobrar de Campos,it was September and the road down to it was very busy because of the popular beach at the end of the road.
Mind you we had some great views of the waders there.
We never got to see the Lighthouse Part as we ran out of time and had to head back North where we were based.
Maybe next time around I will get an early start and have a good look around that part of the Island.

Bob
Old Sunday 18th March 2018, 15:40   #313
Mike Montier

Many thanks Clive and Bob for your excellent advice. Having seen the results, it will be very hard to go back to my weedy bridge camera so I will just have to take the plunge.
Bob. The east coast is by far the best, Punta de níAmer, Porto Colom or my local lighthouse at Porto Petro.
The Shearwaters come really close at times, yet other days they are far out, it depends on the winds. At their peak, the they go past at about 2,000 per hour, mixed groups of both Balearic and Scopoliís.
When they reach the most south-easterly point, they then fly diagonally towards Cabrera, thus leaving the coastline and going further out to sea. For this reason, the lighthouse at the Cap de Ses Salines is not the best place in my experience. Yesterday they were close in and the wind had an easterly bias which I believe are the best conditions.
Mike

Last edited by Mike Montier : Wednesday 1st August 2018 at 19:21.
Old Sunday 18th March 2018, 16:43   #314
Mike Montier

I did visit the salt pans this morning for a while. The light is sharp and grasses are very green covered in wild flowers so the Island is a picture at the moment.
One Spoonbill, lots of Booted eagles and Marsh harriers, a few small flocks of Common swift and one large group of mixed hirundines with one Red-rumpled swallow and two Sand Martins where I met a visiting Swedish birder and spent a happy time chatting. Just another bonus of our great hobby.
Mike
Old Sunday 18th March 2018, 23:58   #315
blacknessbirder

Quote:
Many thanks Clive and Bob for your excellent advice. Having seen the results, it will be very hard to go back to my weedy bridge camera so I will just have to take the plunge.
Bob. The east coast is by far the best, Punta de níAmer, Porto Colom or my local lighthouse at Porto Petro.
The Shearwaters come really close at times, yet other days they are far out, it depends on the winds. At their peak, the they go past at about 2,000 per hour, mixed groups of both Balearic and Scopoliís.
When they reach the most south-easterly point, they then fly diagonally towards Cabrera, thus leaving the coastline and going further out to sea. For this reason, the lighthouse at the Cap de Ses Salines is not the best place in my experience. Yesterday they were close in and the wind had an easterly bias which I believe are the best conditions.
Mike
Hi Mike sorry to throw a spanner in the works but is that not an actual Corys Shearwater? The dark under primaries as opposed to the white tongue shown by Scopoliís and reasonably stout bill? Im not that up on these but I thought that was one of the identifying features (the under wing pattern)?
Old Monday 19th March 2018, 10:40   #316
s.g.
spotted sandpiper

Purple Heron this morning at Albuferata along with 4 G. W. Egrets, 6 Greenshanks, Grey Plover, 4 Snipe, Osprey.
Salbufera late yesterday, 3 Temmincks, 3 L. Stints, 13 Dunlin, Good numbers of Greenshanks And Spotted Reds and Male Garganey still present.
Steve.
Old Monday 19th March 2018, 11:23   #317
LaGola
Ornithological tourism center

La Gola Birdlist

Good morning,
here you have the last birdlist of la Gola, not bad for a small site
https://www.ctolagola.com/birdlist-listado-de-aves-llistat-d-aus/

Regards,
Cristina.
Carrer Temple Fielding, s/n - 07470 Port de PollenÁa
Old Monday 19th March 2018, 11:41   #318
LaGola
Ornithological tourism center

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknessbirder View Post
Hi Mike sorry to throw a spanner in the works but is that not an actual Corys Shearwater? The dark under primaries as opposed to the white tongue shown by Scopoliís and reasonably stout bill? Im not that up on these but I thought that was one of the identifying features (the under wing pattern)?
Hello!
regarding to the last picture of Calonectris, not sure about its bill but it's true that the dark hand is quite extended. Even so, as Mike said, individual variation is tricky.
Ask an expert like Miguel McMinn could be useful.

Regards,
Cristina.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180319_113100.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	656619  
Carrer Temple Fielding, s/n - 07470 Port de PollenÁa
Old Monday 19th March 2018, 16:30   #319
Mike Montier

Hi Blackness birder. I often think some of the Shearwaters here are good for Cory’s but I’m told they are all Scopoli’s.
I am writing to Miguel as Cristina suggests and will post the results.
Mike
Old Monday 19th March 2018, 20:42   #320
blacknessbirder

Quote:
Hi Blackness birder. I often think some of the Shearwaters here are good for Coryís but Iím told they are all Scopoliís.
I am writing to Miguel as Cristina suggests and will post the results.
Mike
Hi Mike, thanks for the reply, I think Cristina may have a point with the bill having a better look at it today, but it is interesting that the underwing pattern varies so much within Scopolis. I think if this was seen off of Cornwall or Southern Ireland it would likely be called by the majority as Coryís because of the underwing. It makes you wonder if we do get more Scoplois in UK waters?

Cheers
Euan
Old Tuesday 20th March 2018, 00:03   #321
Clive Griffin

Super shots of the Firecrest Bob, I haven't managed to photograph these yet.
At Albufera this afternoon, saw a distant female Hen Harrier, blurred photos show the white ringtail and the 5 fingers. A few Spotted Redshank, 1 Black-tailed Godwit, Gargany and Greenshank and 4 Flamingo were at Bishop 1. Sa Roca had 8 Marbled Duck, a Yellow Wagtail and a Temminck's Stint gave close views. A Kingfisher flew across the path from the main entrance only 2 or 3 meters in front of me, but too quick for a photo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Temminck's Stint_1219.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	805.8 KB
ID:	656679  Click image for larger version

Name:	Temminck's Stint_1239.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	694.3 KB
ID:	656680  
Old Wednesday 21st March 2018, 13:06   #322
Mike Montier

Two Slender-billed gulls at Albufereta, found by Maties. An excellent record.
I am in the north-east of the Island where the storms are raging. I tried to do a seawatch but couldn’t stand up, the waves are enormous quite unlike anything I have ever seen in Mallorca. There might be some more good birds about when it all settles.
Mike
Old Wednesday 21st March 2018, 13:11   #323
Mike Montier

I have heard from our resident Shearwater expert and he says that this bird does indeed look like a Coryís. He goes on to say that many Scopoliís are rather strange and that Coryís has never been officially recorded here before although he heard one in the colony at Cabrera some time ago.
Therefore, the identity swings more in favor of Scopoliís. He has asked a colleague so if there is any change, I will let you know.Mike

Last edited by Mike Montier : Wednesday 1st August 2018 at 19:21.
Old Wednesday 21st March 2018, 16:52   #324
bob freeman

Clive we also had a Stint right outside Sa Roca hide one morning.
We thought Little Stint but looking at my shots the body looks a bit long for Little so maybe Temmincks,i am sure someone will confirm.
Pity we did not bump into each other this time round Clive but maybe next year.
Also posted the only usable shots of the Spotted Crake which we had the good fortune to see one morning from Bishop 1 hide, sadly it only hung around in view for a short time before disappearing again into the undergrowth.
Sadly no shots of Bluethroat which was seen from same hide the next day but only a fleeting glance.
Also Yellow Wagtail from Sa Roca.

Mike, I am pleased we missed the stormy weather, looks like luck shone on us again, like last year every day bar one was perfect birding weather if not a bit chilly at times but the wind direction and speed dictated that.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BFLS1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	318.1 KB
ID:	656780  Click image for larger version

Name:	BFLS2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	305.1 KB
ID:	656781  Click image for larger version

Name:	BRLC1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	596.0 KB
ID:	656782  Click image for larger version

Name:	BFSC2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	549.2 KB
ID:	656783  Click image for larger version

Name:	BFYW1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	506.5 KB
ID:	656784  

Old Wednesday 21st March 2018, 20:45   #325
Clive Griffin

Hi Bob, yes, a pity we didn't bump into each other this time. It looks like you had some great birds that I missed. I think from your photos you have Little Stint judging by the dark legs and the long primaries that extend beyond the tail. But I'm no expert. My bird definitely had yellowish legs and the tail seemed to be longer than the primaries.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Temminck's Stint_1240.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	656807  
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: