• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

lammergeier location? (1 Viewer)

I saw them fairly distantly in the Ariege valley on the cliff face high above the town of Sinsat.

Otherwise, I've heard the Cirque de Gavarnie almost guarantees sightings.

Two locations that proved useful when I visted a few years back but on the Spanish side.

Sta Eulalia La Mayor on the minor road north of Huesca that leads to the dam at Valdiello.

And Riglos

You will find it difficult NOT to see them around Gavarnie.
What time of year will you be there?
Suggest you send Rosbifs (of this forum) a PM as he lives in the area and can point you at a lot more than Lammergeiers!

Thanks for the tips. I'll be there in a couple of days, but we don't have a lot of time. And I'm traveling with non-birders, so my flexibility will be limited. One good thing about that bird, it lives in pretty spectacular places that have something for everyone.

Migration time! Awesome period. We are just hitting honey buzzards and the black and white storks. At the col du Soulour there is a manned site....

As others have stated Gavarnie is a great bet for Lammergeier.

Have a good trip.

Ps i'm in Luz st sauveur....

Good tip, TWM and Rosbifs... I had great looks at a pair nest-shopping along the cliffs above a magical camp site. Plus a lot of other raptors too high to ID. All good!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back