• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (7 Viewers)

Dartford warblers are very tricky as you have discovered! Kevin showed Mike and I a really good patch at Son Real.
Going down through the reserve, right to the coast, there is a viewing platform. Walking just to the east of this, before one of the military towers, is a dip with some very low scrub.
This is the best place we have found for both Balearic and Dartford warblers. They do respond to “phishing” but the problem for many visiting Birders is that they come in April or May when the birds are more difficult or on eggs.
However, Porto Colom is far and away the best

Thanks Mike! Mrs B and I have plans for visits in June & September this year - not the best for Dartfords, but I’ll be putting the time in again. I’m working on having a day down in the south east in June, so hopefully I can target Porto Colom (maybe you fancy getting together?).

Stew

That would be great Stew, we are in the United States for the whole of May so June would be perfect. We are here all September too. I look forward to it. Mike

Trip up Ternelles Valley

I have wanted to do this trip for a number of years since reading it in Eddie Wilkinsons Booklet of Birding in Mallorca.

The permit is available online - only 20 permits per day!

http://www.ajpollenca.net/ca/contacte/autorització-ternelles

Here is some of the on going background dispute form TOTN

Ternelles Access - Rumbles On
A new report from the Council of Pollensa has defended the access it manages to the Ternelles estate. The environmental report seeks to demonstrate to the TSJB that the public visits to Cala Castell and other sensitive areas are not harmful to the environment. It also aims to justify the legality of accessing the exclusion areas marked by the Plan for the Regulation of Natural Resources of the Serra de Tramuntana on the Ternelles estate, mainly Cala Castell. The study was handed to the judge to comply with a requirement of the Superior Court of Justice of the Balearic Islands (TSJB).
The different interpretation of the judicial rulings applied by the City Council and Ternelles property implies that both parties try to ensure the management of public visits to the emblematic ‘Pollencina’ estate. The society that manages the ‘possessió’ linked to the March family, already warned a few months ago that from this year authorization for visits would lie with them exclusively, which the council does not accept.
Mayor March explained yesterday that the City continues to manage authorizations for twenty people a day, “In principle everything remains the same, although we have found that the property of the farm wants to open a transition period” to take control of public visits. March considers that Ternelles “is entitled to give permits for guided visits because the farm is his, but the authorization to access the road must be municipal.”

The walk to the gate from Parking at the Roman Bridge ar Park (Field) is about 2 km passing fincas and fields. At the gate is a very helpful guard who takes the permits and provides instructions etc. The walking path is very easy and apparently takes 3 hours to the Castle when open. The gates close at 18.00

The walk is very interesting, past a very nice torrent/stream and excellent oak and olive woods.

Birds seen included Song thrushes, Great and Bluetits( I saw at least 8 blue tits), Firecrests, Grey and white wagtails, Meadow Pipits, Chaffinches and Chiffchaffs, Serins, Blackcaps, Robins, Ravens, Kestrels, Booted Eagles, 3 Griffon Vultures and 4 Black Vultures. The views were distant but the possibility of close fly over is there.

Its a great site and I think in the Spring it must be amazing-With few disturbences from cars, cyclists and people. Eddie was right!

Thanks for that Mike. A really good bit of publicity, the reserve looked great and Cristina spoke very well.
The star was obviously Kevin. He said all the right things. I will ask for his autograph next time we meet up. Mike

Afternoon walk around S’Albuferata Sites.
Birds seen included: Marsh Harriers, BWStilts,Lapwings, Little and Great Egets, Kentish Plovers, Green Sandpiper, Gadwall, Shoverlers, Shellduck, Serins, Goldfinches,Greenfinches, Meadow and Water Pipits, Corn Buntings, Sardinian, Cetti, and fantailed Warblers, RLPartridges and Audouins Gulls.
Highlights were Flamingos(at least 95), Pintails(5), and Water Rails (5 or 6 calling)

Last edited:
Mike Montier has given me permission to look after this site while he is away.
Time for us Birders to party and report those rare birds that Mike will miss!

Yesterday the first Black Kite was reported at the Cap Salines. Two Red Kites were also reported.

8 Monk parakeets were reported in the Palma area today.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I so want to return to Alcudia this year and test my fixed 400mm (m43). I was thinking bird migration in Spring but couldn't find anything on birds and their routes. Americans appear to have more websites on migration.
What is the best time to visit Albufera et al. to catch a variety of birds just passing through? I am a litzle obsessed with bee eaters. If only I could ban one on camera.
I am about to book my holidays, a week between April and May 25. ? Which week would you suggest? Thanks.

Hi Herona,
There are a number of websites and groups studing migration pathways in Europe:

http://www.birdlife.org/europe-and-central-asia/programmes/migratory-birds-europe-and-central-asia
https://www.geog.cam.ac.uk/research/projects/landusemigrantbirds/SahelBirds1.pdf
http://www.seen-net.eu
https://euring.org/research/migration-maps

And an excellent presentation by FAO (more concerned with birdflu concerns!)
http://www.fao.org/avianflu/conferences/rome_avian/documents/hagemeijer-mundkur.pdf

I will send more info if needed.

The main pathways are well known including those through Spain as well as those through Cyprus and Malta where the birds are still hunted in their thousands despite political pressure etc.
Many birds do migrate during the night to avoid predators etc.

Excellent migration viewing sites in Mallorca as well.

Looking at best time for bee eaters - according to the excellent BBR report Beginning May should be fine. Last year Rollers were also around.

The publication is only 5euros and is In English

https://www.gobmallorca.com/ornito-publicacions/balearic-bird-report-2016

I hope this helps

Mike

Last edited:
Hello Swiss Mike,

thanks a lot for your detailed reply and the links. I much appreciate it!. :t:

BTW, I was looking into going to Malta but then read about the continued hunting and pouching despite European-wide ban. This has totally put me off and Malta will not see me unless they break with their hunting traditions.

Good decision Herona,
I did go to Malta years ago and was sickened by the lime traps and nets.
Come to Mallorca..The Malloquins are great in conservation and supporting wildlife.

I agree with Mike, we are very lucky in Mallorca with so many conservationists here doing great work for wildlife. It’s improving all the time too. There are good people working in Malta as well and things are slowly changing. We all wish more would be done but old traditions sadly don’t die quickly.
Just arrived in sunny Shrewsbury and I’m missing Mallorca already. Take care of the Island and I look forward to the beginning of migration when I get back. Thanks for keeping the thread going Mike and others, it is very dear to me. Mike

I agree with Mike, we are very lucky in Mallorca with so many conservationists here doing great work for wildlife. It’s improving all the time too. There are good people working in Malta as well and things are slowly changing. We all wish more would be done but old traditions sadly don’t die quickly. “

I agree there are changes in Malta and good people there but the Spring hunting of Quails and Turtle Doves is ridiculous and should be stopped. The number of Turtle Doves reaching UK are drastically reduced.

In 2015 there was a referendum in Malta to allow this Spring hunting.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32239141

Bad things come out of Referendums as we know!

Hi Guys,
saw a Puffin the other day out fishing, was initially shocked until I found there is a population here!!!!
Bad photo I know, was with the phone.

Attachments

• Puffin, Jan 2018, Cabo Salinas.jpg
    Puffin, Jan 2018, Cabo Salinas.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 90
Unidentified Bird of Prey

And can anyone name this bird, has been buzzing our house the last few days?Thanks
John

Attachments

• Unidentified bird of prey, Jan 2018.jpg
    Unidentified bird of prey, Jan 2018.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 84
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back