• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shetland autumn rarity thread (1 Viewer)

9 September

Unst

Lesser Yellowlegs - national rarity

Fair Isle

Blyth's Reed Warbler - Scottish rarity
(Arctic Warbler - additional to total, see above)

Foula

Blyth's Reed Warbler - Scottish rarity

Last edited:
10 September

I don't think there were any scoring birds today unless anyone knows otherwise.

The day was notable however for some bird news out of Papa Stour; there was none during last year's competition.

17 September

Foula

Buff-breasted Sandpiper - Shetland rarity

If anyone saw the Unst Little Bunting on the news services I don't count them, even though they are a Scottish rarity, because they are regular enough on Shetland not to require a description of any kind in autumn.

Score update

As at today the scores are:-

Fair Isle 9 4 2
Mainland 4 4 2
Unst 3 3 1
Foula 1 1 1
Yell 1 0 2
Bressay 1 0 1
Skerries 1 0 0
Whalsay 0 0 1

With no scores for Fetlar or Papa Stour. Thanks mainly to Arctic Warblers Fair Isle has opened up a lead, I still think Mainland and Unst will catch up but given the forecasts I wouldn't be surprised if Foula finished higher than last year (Edit - that's actually quite a tall order on reflection).

Last edited:
19 September

Unst

Subalpine Warbler - 'National rarity'
Buff-breasted Sandpiper - Shetland rarity

Mainland

Hobby - Shetland rarity

Last edited:
25 September

Mainland

Little Egret - Shetland rarity

I am assuming that the Sullom and South Mainland birds are one and the same even thought the sites are some distance apart. It says a lot about how slow it is on Shetland right now that I am able to give this some thought...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back