• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (4 Viewers)

Thanks for the words regarding the greylags - one of those pieces I think. Perhaps I'd have felt differently had I not had the break from whilst it was still in progress.

We've had a real taste of spring up here over the past three or four days; bright sunshine, rooks pruning the sycamores, oystercatchers piping merrily from dawn til past dusk and greylags - a - sh@ggin'. Always a bit strange to watch the whoopers and long-tailed ducks courting and displaying so far (geographicaly) from the places they will eventually settle down to the real thing.
Took an hour and half off to locate a few pintails - not common up here although they do also breed) - sneaked down to the Loch of Brockan, totally unnoticed by everything around - well, except the fifty greylags, 400 common gulls 15 pintails, 26 teal and a hundred wigeon - oh about 60 lapwings decided to join the aerial display too, but they all settled back down fairly quickly allowing me a very bright and very chilly drawing session. Deceptive popping out to the garden and having warm sun on your back and then going out to the countryside where the chill factor makes sitting still a trifle uncomfortable. Worth it though!

Attachments

• pintails 1 small.jpg
    pintails 1 small.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 80
  • pintails2 smal.jpg
    pintails2 smal.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 70
  • pintails 3small.jpg
    pintails 3small.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCN1875lappies small.jpg
    DSCN1875lappies small.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 78
  • pintails 4 small.jpg
    pintails 4 small.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Some great stuff here Tim. I particularly like the shapes and angles captured with the feeding Pintail in #1 and the Lapwings in #3, dammed fine pencil strokes!

I'll ellaborate on Rockfowl's comments, Tim. Superb, clean and unfussy lines, particularly if it's the soft leads you are using. I love the Pintails - a bird I've not yet had the pleasure of sketching, believe it or not; the coloured-in bird reminds me of one in Jonsson's latest meister work, and is right up there with it. Your recent sketches are a real joy to look at. Looking forward to more.

Russ

Just wonderful Tim the lines just dance with life and vitality....I love the laps, wonder if I'll ever see a real one, but don't feel I'm missing anything will the wonderful drawings you've done I've as good as seen them.

simply beautiful, light, shapes, movement - this is what it's all about.

Nick, and everyone else, says it well. They capture the excitement of being out with the birds, seeing each individual one well and putting it down on paper. This is what it's all about!

I know what you mean about the backyard being warm and sunny and then finding weather from another time zone when you actually get where you're going and start drawing.

Great work Tim! So glad to see it all. Love the Pintails. You've captured them oh so very well.
Just a head's up, I'm going to post a silly little painting I've been working on for class on my thread...if the thread is still around.

Pintail sketches are enough to make me give up on sketching ducks of any kind, love them for their simplicity and life.

Mike

It's THAT time of year again - the only reason that anyone bothers to read this otherwise tedious thread; oh yes - IT'S THE CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL!!!!!!
Now, because of wasting so much time doing work, I've had very little time to do much study, however rest assured that there are at least two winners from the three races I'm tipping-up. I also have a nailed-on winner for Friday - but that'll have to wait . . .

Anyhow - the 1:30 will be a penalty kick for DUNGUIB and at a fraction of odds-against will more than double our opening punt.

The 2:05 will be won by Captain CeeBee - getting the champion jockey off to a good start - although I really like Sizing Europe and at 6/1, I have a feeling that's the one to be with.

the only other race of punting interest is the 3:20 - Solwhit at 6/1 is the winner - but the shrewdies may want to back it eachway for a definite return.

Happy punting!

Bl***y Binocular (of all choices) at 9/1 :-C
And the most annoying thing is - I tipped the b100dy thing last year to win and it came second!!! (Feel free to trawl through several dozen pages for proof.)
I'll try a bit harder tomorrow - if my head stops hurting . . .

Damn thing - what is it about b100dy work; absolute scurge of the punting-class! Only just managed to sneak a peek at the cards for today and with Masterminded looking lke he could pick up the rest of the field and carry them ocver the winning line, there's not much point looking for a serious challenger . . . . . or is there??? Call me stupid, but there's one old warrior who might just fancy a spin around today - I take 'Well Chief' @ any price between 25/1 and 33/1 to run into a place for a hefty return.
The 4:00 is a pig so I'll have another fun punt with a 40/1 shot 'Gold Award'

Just a couple of chancers today Mark - but Masterminded has burnt a lot of fingers today - big time!
I promise to study a bit in the morning, if I'm allowed . . . . .

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back