• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question about buying overseas. (1 Viewer)

Well how else can you buy a Swaro that is not sold in the US???

This is a good point in more than one way BC. Local brand offices can get upset about grey imports because they have been denied the profit from the sale but then folks want to lumber them with the costs of aftermarket support / warranty, hence they often say 'no way'. But in this case SONA hasn't dipped out on the profit from a sale because they don't sell the Habichts in the States. In this instance they have denied themselves the profit from the sale and US citizens have to buy from overseas if they want these models. In these circumstances I doubt whether it is correct to call a Habicht a 'grey' import at all.

Lee

According to SONA, Any Authorized Swarovski Optik "USA" dealer" (retailer or on-line sales) Can Sell (Special Order Only) their currently available Habicht Porro binoculars (if they choose to). Since this porro line up is not normally carried in stock with US authorized dealers any more (since 2012?), a Special Order would be placed by the dealer through SONA for the binocular and this Sale would be registered through SONA!

When you obtain a porro this way, a Non-Refundable, Up-Front payment to the dealer has to be made for the "Special Order". A purchase like this means it arrives in the US as an Authorized Certified Swarovski Binocular with a full Swarovski US SONA Transferable Lifetime Warranty (Not a European optic warranty)!

As far as I understand and have verified with both SONA and the sellers, HCB&B (Gordon), CL (Doug) and O4B (Steve) still offer on-line Habicht Porro SONA special-order sales that take a few weeks for order deliveries.

Ted

That's good to know. My only concern is what if they don't work for me? If I go through Amazon I have 30 day return on them. I'd have to pay shipping back is all. Considering all the folk who have issues with them I'm a little reluctant to buy with no option of return. Optics4birding has that same special order deal but with no returns also. I might have to chance the gray marked if I want them. I appreciate all your research on my behalf. Thanks

That's good to know. My only concern is what if they don't work for me? If I go through Amazon I have 30 day return on them. I'd have to pay shipping back is all. Considering all the folk who have issues with them I'm a little reluctant to buy with no option of return. Optics4birding has that same special order deal but with no returns also. I might have to chance the gray marked if I want them. I appreciate all your research on my behalf. Thanks

Good point...decisions, decisions...:-C ;)

According to SONA, Any Authorized Swarovski Optik "USA" dealer" (retailer or on-line sales) Can Sell (Special Order Only) their currently available Habicht Porro binoculars (if they choose to). Since this porro line up is not normally carried in stock with US authorized dealers any more (since 2012?), a Special Order would be placed by the dealer through SONA for the binocular and this Sale would be registered through SONA!

Ted

Ted that is great news and makes it all the more puzzling that on page 108 of the current Swaro Nature brochure it lists all the Habicht porros with a symbol against the name 'Habicht' and a footnote that says 'not available in North America'.

It doesn't say 'only available on special order', but maybe they have changed their policy.

Lee

This is scotland and they are an authorized Swarovski dealership. The communications I've had with them leads me to think they know binoculars fairly well. Communication is not hampered by a language barrier. They likely know much more than I do. Well let's hope so. What else would you ask about assuming that they know a lot about their products.

Thanks, Today is my birthday so I was thinking about buying myself a swaro porro, just because that rhymes.B :)3:):king::smoke:;)8-P

Oh, man, do I feel bad that I missed the pizza party! :cat::-C

No, really, Happy Belated Birthday BC!!! Sorry I missed your special day!
Best wishes for your 65th year!

Thanks, the pizza was overcooked but the ice cream rocked and we sat there with the Zeiss Victory 8 and 10x and my EII 8 and 10x and watched a crow sit on a limb 30 ft way on my friends deck and preen and eyeball that pizza. It was really fun because at the table you could rest your elbows and get perfectly steady views of that crow. It honestly was about the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in a binocular. The light was perfect and the detail at that distance in the 10x Zeiss really and finally convinced me that the alpha binoculars are worth the investment. If you got it then spend it.

Good point...decisions, decisions...:-C ;)

Well I got back with bushwear and asked them to verify the warranty issues based on what I'd been told here and and they didn't really want to answer. They said they were aware of no problems with the many they had sold, even though there was not one review of the item on Amazon;) and if I didn't trust them go elsewhere. I thought that was an odd and defensive response to a polite inquiry so I've decided that this whole thing is way to much hassle and it's no longer fun and so not worth it. I'm glad to be done with it. I've some great binoculars in the Nikon's and I'm going to be content.

Last edited:
Well I got back with bushwear and asked them to verify the warranty issues based on what I'd been told here and and they didn't really want to answer. They said they were aware of no problems with the many they had sold, even though there was not one review of the item on Amazon;) and if I didn't trust them go elsewhere. I thought that was an odd and defensive response to a polite inquiry so I've decided that this whole thing is way to much hassle and it's no longer fun and so not worth it. I'm glad to be done with it. I've some great binoculars in the Nikon's and I'm going to be content.

They basically said that they didn't care whether they got your business or not. This wouldn't encourage me to give them any business at all.

Lee

Well, then, it's easy enough to contact SONA and find out: SWAROVSKI OPTIK N.A. Ltd. • 2 Slater Road • Cranston, RI 02920 /
[email protected]

The customer service number used to be 800-426-3089. It may still work.

Let us know what you find out, please. Better safe than sorry. :t:

Ed

I'm no longer interested in the Habicht but for those who are I contacted SONA and if you buy overseas it's no problem in getting repairs. You send it to their facility in the US and they ship them overseas for you. 6 to 10 weeks is the usual turnaround time.

Retailers also don't want any unnecessary hassle, especially if they work on tight margins.

Some retailers pride themselves on service and go the extra mile.

I got out of retail very quickly even when margins were much higher than today.
Dealing with the public can be very stressful.

At least as a rep. dealing with experienced buyers one is on a level professional playing field.

Of course, I buy from retailers but I know both sides of the story.

OK here's a subjective question for you all. Amazon sells the Nikon EDG 8x for $1999. They also sell the International version for $1550. The diff is you'd have to send the binocular to Japan if you needed warranty repairs and there is only a 2 year warranty as opposed to a much longer warranty in the US. What would you do?

OK here's a subjective question for you all. Amazon sells the Nikon EDG 8x for $1999. They also sell the International version for $1550. The diff is you'd have to send the binocular to Japan if you needed warranty repairs and there is only a 2 year warranty as opposed to a much longer warranty in the US. What would you do?
US with longer warranty and local service (or locally handled overseas service, as the case may be), honestly.

I only buy overseas if it's the only option for whatever product I want; only if I'm very determined to have it; and only very, very rarely for expensive items. To date this has included:

• two hard-to-get cameras because I wanted them new-in-box (20 years ago)
  • high-end shocks for my touring scooter because no one carrier them stateside (10 years ago)
  • performance parts for my little hot-rod scooter because there was zero market stateside and a huge market in the UK and Europe. (25+ years ago)

So...hasn't come-up recently. Mostly because I've gotten out of my incredibly niche hobbies. |:D|

BC,

Adorama has a few 8X32 EDGs for $1996, that would be my option. The only glass I have ordered from Japan with good results were the EIIs 8 and 10X like you have since they stopped carrying them here in the US market. One could order the EII 8X30 anniversary edition, but for the steep asking price many ordered the EII from japan instead. Remember outside the manufacturers abilities, the porro can easily be repaired here in the US (for now anyway), but roofs, I plead ignorance on that.
Regarding service I am not sure of the difference between Japan and here in the US with respect to Nikon.
The EDG has been archived here in the US, I am not sure if they are still made for the European or Eastern markets.
Additionally Nikon has stopped servicing some older models, for instance if you had a Nikon SE that needed parts, besides eyecups, you are out of luck, I have the older HG/LX series, they don't even know the model anymore, so that is out.
Nikon has offered a lifetime warranty, but that means replacing your glass with another sometimes lower tier if they choose not to work/repair your older glass. How long will they service the EDG, who knows.
Andy W.

Last edited:
That's good to know. I don't see that they have anything much better in their line up. I wonder why they would discontinue their best but maybe no one is buying. It's not like they are overpriced. In fact from the reviews I see they compete well with higher priced binoculars from the other major alpha brands.

If you could view a Monarch HG 8X42 or 10X42, both are light and small for their formats, and provide IMO very nice views. Out of all my 8X42s they are the lightest.
Nikon did/does not market their premier glass like the other premium manufacturers, it certainly was not the quality or the price that the EDG likely did not sell well.
The 10X42 and 8X42 can compete with any others in the market today.

Andy W.

BC,

Adorama has a few 8X32 EDGs for $1996, that would be my option. The only glass I have ordered from Japan with good results were the EIIs 8 and 10X like you have since they stopped carrying them here in the US market. One could order the EII 8X30 anniversary edition, but for the steep asking price many ordered the EII from japan instead. Remember outside the manufacturers abilities, the porro can easily be repaired here in the US (for now anyway), but roofs, I plead ignorance on that.
Regarding service I am not sure of the difference between Japan and here in the US with respect to Nikon.
The EDG has been archived here in the US, I am not sure if they are still made for the European or Eastern markets.
Additionally Nikon has stopped servicing some older models, for instance if you had a Nikon SE that needed parts, besides eyecups, you are out of luck, I have the older HG/LX series, they don't even know the model anymore, so that is out.
Nikon has offered a lifetime warranty, but that means replacing your glass with another sometimes lower tier if they choose not to work/repair your older glass. How long will they service the EDG, who knows.
Andy W.

Well help me reason this out logically and considering what you've just said. If I were to buy the International version of the EDG I'd have a two year warranty and $450 in my pocket to pay for any repairs after that. Being a old guy lets say I have five more good binocular toting years. If my International EDG makes it through the 30 day return window and seems to be functioning tip top the odds are good that it's going to make it at least five years without repair. Now I've just profited $450. If I'm wrong I'll bet at worst case I'd break even. Tell me what's wrong with that reasoning?

BC,

For your reasoning it sounds rational, also we both have had good stories regarding the EIIs from Japan. Just remember the EDG, shall we say, is a different animal than an EII. Make sure that if you buy one, get one from a very reputable seller from Japan, one who sells optics, not one who sells washing machines, watches, etc. (not that there is anything wrong with that) just making sure that specific questions you ask get answered. There are probably some folks in the camera portion of Birdforum who know reputable sellers in japan, perhaps a valuable resource.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back