• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 500mm F4 (1 Viewer)

A good alternative to the Sigma TS-81 foot and at about a third of the price is the Jobu Designs FF-S504 replacement foot . Buying direct from the manufacturer in Canada can save a lot of money especially for us here in Australia where the exchange rate is aprox one for one

I considered all that. I did, however, get a very very good deal from the company. :) I cannot disclose unfortunately.

I cannot wait to get out again, just been too busy with family related stuff.

Incidentally, would you be happy for two of my friends who shoot Nikon to contact you about this lens? They are both interested in it and (sadly) they both bat for the dark side. :D

Thought I'd post a quick update - quite simply overall I am so glad I bought this lens. It is a beast to handhold if I'm honest so it has had use either on a Gimbal head or supported by bean bag.

Just to see what would happen I hooked it up to the copy of FoCal I have for microadjusting lenses - it showed it was slightly back focusing & suggested a -14 adjustment. It's set at that for now - I'm keeping an open mind tbh on that.

Anyway here's a shot with the lens taken today in fairly poor light.

Attachments

• _D9A8012_BF.jpg
    _D9A8012_BF.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 126
It is a beast to handhold.

You should try the Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS USM or the EF 600mm f/4L IS USM (both first series) then. After having both 500mm f/4 lenses for about a two month period before I moved the Canon one on to an aviation photographer, I hated the Canon, as it was nearly 600g heavier. I suppose I just got used to (mostly) hand holding it for the past 7 years.

Anyways, we are off to South Africa at the end of June so the Sigma babies will get their best workout ever. :cool::cool:

Have a good trip Akos . I turn 71 in a couple of months and am not a big person but have no problems hand holding my Nikon D500 with the Sigma 500mm F/4 prime with or without a T/C . Maybe all in technique .
Ken

Have a good trip Akos . I turn 71 in a couple of months and am not a big person but have no problems hand holding my Nikon D500 with the Sigma 500mm F/4 prime with or without a T/C . Maybe all in technique .
Ken

Thanks Ken. Excited is an understatement.

I should have been perhaps clearer: I never had an issue hand holding any super telephoto lens (all day for that matter) on land, in rocking boats 35 miles offshore, including the older 600mm f/4 beasts, but the weight saving of the Sigma (or the newer own brand super teles) is significantly noticeable between my previous 500mm f/4L IS USM and it. :t: That's all.

Just came across this thread as I am thinking about getting one, are people still happy with their lens,
I am planning to use it with a Sony a7iv and the mc 11 adaptor. anyone use one with an adaptor
thanks

Hi,

Yeah, I was to until I found out that it doesn’t support CAF, only allows manual focus in movies and isn’t weather sealed so pretty much useless for my needs.

Mark
Hi i have watched a few videos and pretty sure it does caf one guy said it doesent if you add a tc but i think he did an update saying a firmware update solved that, , onw thing though it is advertised at 3.3 kilo but is without the hood which takes it up to 3.6 kilo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back