• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Song - coastal north Norfolk (1 Viewer)

Neil Hagley

I was checking roadside pools for waders this morning and picked up a scratchy song I simply did not recognize. The problem was that it was a 'thin' song from a hedgeline about 40 metres away on private land. I captured what I could on the mobile but the recording (attached) is very quiet as I could get no closer. The bird stayed stubbornly hidden. I went back this evening and heard it sing a couple of times from the same hedge; very frustrating.

The parakeet-like phrases are the most striking and were repeated several times.

Any suggestions (if you can here it!)? thanks

Attachments

• _3.m4a
    132.9 KB · Views: 172
I'd say it's an acrocephalus warbler. And probably not one of the commoner ones. I'd recommend going back and getting a better recording.

sounds like a sylvia sp to me! Is this the full depth of the song and not just the higher notes picked up - its so quiet but it seems to have the upper range tone and rythm of a c.whitethroat (I’m not suggesting it is one since you would have known that - but agree its worth trying to get another recording)

I wouldnt describe Icterine as ‘scratchy’ and ‘thin’ but it might explain why I can hear ‘sylvia’, Andrew can hear ‘acro’ and Lou and Jogresh can hear ‘hippo’ and nexstarneil can hear parakeets :-O

I've been on site for an hour again this morning, no sound so far. Thanks for the replies and having listened to recording of Icky that's a match to my ear including what I referred to as 'parakeet' phrases. I ring lots of c Whitethroats & other Sylvias & accros - hadn't considered a hippo, well done BF. The location & views of this hedge just east of Stiffkey are as bad & dangerous as it gets so it wouldn't have made for much of a twitch!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back