• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell H2O 10x42 roof prism problems (2 Viewers)

glenw

Hi,

I bought a pair of these binoculars to take on my honeymoon to the Galapagos and Costa Rica, my wife has a pair of 8x42 H20's and they seemed to be pretty rugged.

So off we went and on the 2nd day in the Galapagos, my brand spanking new pair failed. The left lens wouldn't focus, it wasn't moving at all :C

We had a further 5 days on the islands using our single pair of 8x42 until we could get to some shops on arrival a Costa Rica. Unfortunately, not many shops were open, it was Christmas eve when we arrived in San Jose, the only thing I could get were a crappy pair of 16x30 but they were better than nothing, we still had 3 weeks of Costa Rica to enjoy!!;)

When we got home I returned the 10x42 to the retailers ( jessops), who, begrudgingly sent them off for repair. A month later, they were back but on the first trip out, the collimation went. Again, the shop sent them off for repair, after first telling me there was nothing wrong with them! This time I got a replacement pair.

3 months later, the collimation has gone again. I've sent them to J vickers to be told that I must pay £40 to get them repaired as I obviously had either dropped them or wasn't storing them correctly. I haven't dropped them, I wouldn't expect a warrantly to cover damaged caused by myself and as for improper storage, they always travel in a very well padded camera bag, with my wifes 8x42, a telescope, some spare cheap 10x42 (in case the Bushnells failed again) a canon s3 camera and various lens attachments. The lady I dealt with says that even storing binoculars in a glove box can cause collimation and that the vibrations from taking my binoculars in a motorhome, packaged as i've described is the probable cause!!

Has anyone else had similar problems?? It seems to me that the only way to enjoy using bushnell H20 10x42 is to never leave the house with them and even then, making sure you have a nice soft cushion to store them on, to avoid any knocks or bangs!!

Needless to say, I 'm not paying for the repair, they aren't worth it and i've lost all faith in Bushnell so my other pairs are soon to be appearing on an internet auction site!! ;) My replacement, I think, are going to be opticron explorer's. have I made a good choice?

sorry for the long rant, I needed to get it off my chest!!:-O

Last edited:
glen,

Well, I for one, bid you welcome. Frankly, your experience is why you would have found almost nobody here would have gone close to recommending those "binoculars" to you for an extended trip like the one you took. Cheap roofs, are well, cheap roofs. They have no phase correction and to keep costs down who knows what corners get cut. The H2O offers a reasonable view for a quick look at something, but that is about it IMO.

Since I don't think their new cost is equal to the repair cost, I would not pay the repair either. Chalk it up to live and learn.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that.

Once in a lifetime trips really need (two pairs) of reliable bins. Even less expensive ones that had been used for a while so you nkow they wouldn't fail.

Didn't we have a poster here in a similar situation some time back with a trip to Central America to have the bin fail on day to (wouldn't focus).

Bummer.

I dont think there is another company like Bushnell that supplies such a wide range of binos from the inexepensive - read avoid - to the top end versions. My 8x42 H20 roofs have given reasonable performance. I have used - not owned - some 'Powerview' versions - these are to be avoided. My Japanese B. and L. 7x42 Discoverers have given excellent performance. The H20 versions seem to get a mixed response - some saying avoid and some saying that for the priced they give reasonable optical and build performance. Just wondering if the porro versions would be more reliable.

Good luck

Chris

I have the Bushnell H2O's and find them excellent. Use them all the time and take them everywhere.

You do seem to have managed 3 bad pairs in less then 6 months which is a little high. Jessops would not repair the first set simply cheaper and easier to replace.

You also say that the left lens would not move at all, guess you mean the eyepeiece. Just been adjusting mine and no matter how much I examine the eyepiece or the objective there is nothing I can see that is moving. It is all completely internal and masked from the user. Something to do with them being water proof and therefore sealed.

A camera bag with your 10x42's 8x42's, a telescope, spare 10x42's, a canon s3 camera and various lens attachments is one hell of a big camera bag. No way would I risk all that in one bag. Too much chance of one bit damaging another.

Finally you are going to put your other pairs (of Bushnells?) up on an auction site. What other pairs, you only had one pair from the posting. If other binoculars, Bushnell or otherwise, why didn't you take those on the holiday? They worked and if you have had them for some time so have proven to be robust.

Thanks all, for the reply's.

Steve C, thanks for the welcome, I will be putting it down to a 'live and learn' experience, although a £100+ pair of binoculars is a lot of money for me :-( I have just received them back, with a note saying 'estimate refused - returned unrepaired' BUT the double vision has gone! Maybe the vibrations of the postal service has rectified it???

kevin, as we were away for 4 weeks, I guessed my knackered old £10 pair wouldn't have been up to the job, especially the humidity of the rain forest hence I bought a better pair but didn't get a great deal of time to test them prior, with all the wedding plans etc It was still an amazing place mind you, a brilliant holiday.

SG6, the left lens not moving was an internal problem, if you look inside the binoculars from th underneath, you could see the right side moved but the left didn't. Also, the camera bag I mentioned is a fairly large rucksack, its just allowable hand luggage size and was the reason I bought it, there was no way I was trusting my optical equipment to the baggage handlers! Each item I listed has its own padded compartment, there should be very little, if any, chance of 1 item damaging another. I use it to pack all my stuff into when we are travelling in the motorhome too, I use a much smaller bag when I'm out and about!
Finally, the other binoculars I mentioned going on ebay are a pair of bushnell trophy's I picked up cheap to put me on whilst the H20's were being repaired, I needed something to use for the month and my exsisting £10 cheapo's were knackered, and probably my wifes 8x42 h20's which we did take on honeymoon with us. Hope that explains it clearly!

Thanks all, for the reply's.

Steve C, thanks for the welcome, I will be putting it down to a 'live and learn' experience, although a £100+ pair of binoculars is a lot of money for me :-( I have just received them back, with a note saying 'estimate refused - returned unrepaired' BUT the double vision has gone! Maybe the vibrations of the postal service has rectified it???

kevin, as we were away for 4 weeks, I guessed my knackered old £10 pair wouldn't have been up to the job, especially the humidity of the rain forest hence I bought a better pair but didn't get a great deal of time to test them prior, with all the wedding plans etc It was still an amazing place mind you, a brilliant holiday.

SG6, the left lens not moving was an internal problem, if you look inside the binoculars from th underneath, you could see the right side moved but the left didn't. Also, the camera bag I mentioned is a fairly large rucksack, its just allowable hand luggage size and was the reason I bought it, there was no way I was trusting my optical equipment to the baggage handlers! Each item I listed has its own padded compartment, there should be very little, if any, chance of 1 item damaging another. I use it to pack all my stuff into when we are travelling in the motorhome too, I use a much smaller bag when I'm out and about!
Finally, the other binoculars I mentioned going on ebay are a pair of bushnell trophy's I picked up cheap to put me on whilst the H20's were being repaired, I needed something to use for the month and my exsisting £10 cheapo's were knackered, and probably my wifes 8x42 h20's which we did take on honeymoon with us. Hope that explains it clearly!

Personally, if you have another problems with it, write directly to the company. They last less than ten years that is one thing but so much problems in so little time is unacceptable. Always be polite and detail what happened and what you did. Most of teh company woulf prefer to make a happy customer than losing one for the rest of his life and telling everybody to do so...

I mean the h2o are cheap binoculars but there are another cheaper models...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back