• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED50: Tripod+Head (1 Viewer)

kilianwasmer

Hi.

I am looking for a lightweight tripod and head for a Nikon ED50A scope (angled).
I am 185cm tall and don't want to spend more than 150-200€ (200-250$).

Any recommendation?

I use a anfrotto 718b which is nice and light and easy to use.
Weight 1.4kg.
Although legs in 4 parts which can take longer to set up - it collapses to a very small length so good for travelling about.
H

I currently use a Slik Pro 340DX which came with a SH-705E head which i have swopped to a Velbon PH-157Q head as i already have a few QR plates for it so i can switch ED50 to camera/camcorder in no time. It colllapses to fit into my rucksack for carrying and although its not as light as the Manfrotto 785b Modo i had before is much steadier. If you just use for viewing with the ED50 though the very light and small (when folded) Manfrotto Modo 785b is usable and i have met a few people with this combo. The Manfrotto 718b mentioned in the last post is a good choice and not expensive.

Last edited:
At the moment Manfrotto's 718b seems to be my favourite although I fear it's a bit flimsy. Which head would you use?

The Manfrotto Modo 785b comes with a ball-head. I wonder if this is useful for a scope? The Slik Pro 340DX seems a little short (136 cm).

Any experience with the following tripods/heads?
Velbon GEO E430 + Velbon PH-15 Q head
Velbon Sherpa Pro CF 631EL + Manfrotto 701RC2 head
Velbon Sherpa 600R + PH-157Q head
Slik Sprint Pro EZ

At the moment Manfrotto's 718b seems to be my favourite although I fear it's a bit flimsy. Which head would you use?

The Manfrotto Modo 785b comes with a ball-head. I wonder if this is useful for a scope? The Slik Pro 340DX seems a little short (136 cm).

Any experience with the following tripods/heads?
Velbon GEO E430 + Velbon PH-15 Q head
Velbon Sherpa Pro CF 631EL + Manfrotto 701RC2 head
Slik Sprint Pro EZ

Just use it as comes no need to buy anything else if you are just using the ED50.

hi killian:

the little 50 angled imho works great w/ the lite-wt manfrotto ballhead!!! no multiple levers to twist and turn, or separate axial type movements, just grab and point anywhere! the 50 is so dainty (maybe not the right word!) that it's easy to get on the target and cinch the spotter down in a flash. the grip is very intuitive, hard to describe in a few words but almost like pointing your finger. this is the first ball-type head 'pod i have used, and was reluctant to take the plunge at first, but fortunately was able to try the combo out ahead of time at a local camera shop.

not sure if it would work for something larger/heavier, but for the 50ED it's a sweet setup!

regards,
utc

That's what I use with mine. I'd like a carbon tripod but I can't justify the expense so I'm waiting for this one to break / seize up / develop a fault. After four years and a lot of use (400+ days in the field) it's still going strong.

I had it before the ED50 (used with an Opticron GS665 and now a GS80ED) and I looked for a lighter travel tripod at the time I bought the ED50 but there wasn't anything to beat the tripod I already had. As I'm quite tall (195cm) I'm quite limited in choice. The Slik would give me neck-ache and didn't feel too stable when I tried it in the shop. The 600R is pretty light and has travelled with me to the US, Gambia, Spain twice, Hungary, Italy with no bother at all. The splittable centre column and wide-spreading legs can be pretty handy sometimes.

Only negatives are that I've had to replace two of the leg clips which broke early on (spares easily obtained), and the head is noticeably stiffer when it's really cold.

I have little experience of other tripods, but I've not met an unsatisfied 600R user, and they seem to be very popular tripods.

Graham

Today the scope (w 27x wide eyepiece) and tripod (Manfrotto 718b) arrived:
The ED50 seems to punch well above its weight! Wow!!! |;|

Actually the tripod is too wobbly for me (unfortunately I am used to a Manfotto 055). I am going to send it back. Now I am choosing between:
Velbon GEO E540L + PH-157Q
Velbon GEO E640 + PH-157Q
Velbon 600R (PH-157Q inc.)

Due to costs I will probably go for the 600R. I hope it is a good step up from the small Manfrotto. The CF tripods do not seem to have that many advantages (slightly lighter, a little less vibration-prone) but they are a lot more expensive.

:
The ED50 seems to punch well above its weight! Wow!!! |

Due to costs I will probably go for the 600R. I hope it is a good step up from the small Manfrotto. The CF tripods do not seem to have that many advantages (slightly lighter, a little less vibration-prone) but they are a lot more expensive.

Your choice will be fine with the ED50 and unless you want to digiscope vibration won't be a problem. Enjoy your new scope but i do recommend getting the 20x eyepiece as it's very bright with a great wide view.

The Velbon Sherpa 600R arrived today. It seems to be a very good compromise between weight, stability and price - perhaps the optimum for a Nikon ED50 as long as you are not a small person!

PS: It's more stable then the Manfrotto 718b but 600 grams heavier and with a little longer pack size.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back