• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

PICTURE AND VIDEO: Atlantic City, NJ, bird I've never seen (1 Viewer)

Growingpack

What kind of bird is this?

I've lived here for 29 years, been taking pics of the birds around here for about 7 years, and I've never seen this bird before. It wouldn't fly away and actually walked toward me when I initially saw it before I ran inside to get my camera. Maybe it's sick? It has to be lost at least. And the sound it makes, it's like a chicken... But it looks like a quail? Or a juiced up mourning dove? Or a mix of the two? (< I'm kidding)

http://youtu.be/l9AJiBnLoZg

The video is in 1080p HD.

(Forgive me, I don't know how to (or if you can) embed videos here.)

(not sure how to post pics either)

Taken late in the afternoon of 10-9-2013. There is a wildlife refuge not far from here that I will call if I see this bird tomorrow morning. I'm not sure, given the location I saw the bird, if it'll make it through the night if it is in fact sick or injured. There are many cats and possums and who knows what else this time of the year that would love a fat bird like this for a meal.

Attachments

• unusualbird_zpsa1c9013c.jpg
    unusualbird_zpsa1c9013c.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Looks like a Chuckar to me. We get them here in Nevada, and they are hunted during Chuckar season. Hope its not Chuckar season there.

So I'm really curious now - and I may never know: how the heck did it get to the east coast?
Well, Chukars have been released practically everywhere in the Western world (even in places where there already are very similar species, like in Greece or Spain), much like pheasants, so it's likely that they were released in your region as well. Like pheasants, they are originally native to Asia though.

To me, this looks more like Red-legged Partridge than Chukar Partridge (this seems to be a more accepted spelling). So how do we actually separate those two?

Niels

If it were red-legged, wouldn't we see speckling on the breast and throat, and a white line just above the black line through the eye?

OK, got it. I was staring myself blind on the side of the bird where Chukar usually has strong contrast in the side pattern according to the photos I could find.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back