• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is the maker of Benbo tripods still in business? (1 Viewer)

GrandNagus50

I own an old Benbo tripod, the kind with the single handle that controls the positioning of all legs plus the center column. One of the toe points ("feet") broke, and online I found that the current manufacturer of these tripods is Paterson Photographic Equipment, located in West Midlands, UK. They have a website that includes an order form for internet sales of their merchandise. The merchandise includes a set of replacement feet for the Benbo tripods, which still use the same size aluminum tubing. So far, so good!

The problem is that the company seems completely unresponsive. I tried to order the set of "feet" and could not. I wrote them an email inquiring about how to do this. I filled out the online messaging form. I tried calling them and the call would not go through (I am located in the US).

I resorted to obtaining a substitute toe point from Uni-loc, the maker of a tripod that is very similar to the Benbo. The part was not quite the correct size.

Benbo tripods are still sold by a few merchants, including B&H Photovideo in New York. I inquired to B&H about the status of customer service and spare parts for Benbo tripods and got an unsatisfactory answer.

I suppose I can use a pipe end cap or something similar to cover up the bare metal of the tripod leg, but I would rather have the correct part. Does anyone know whether Paterson Photographic Equipment is still in business? Any other owners of Benbo tripods out there?

Paterson is a very old photographic brand name in the U.K., but may have changed hands.
I don't know if it currently exists.

Benbo Feet

I own an old Benbo tripod, the kind with the single handle that controls the positioning of all legs plus the center column. One of the toe points ("feet") broke, and online I found that the current manufacturer of these tripods is Paterson Photographic Equipment, located in West Midlands, UK. They have a website that includes an order form for internet sales of their merchandise. The merchandise includes a set of replacement feet for the Benbo tripods, which still use the same size aluminum tubing. So far, so good!

The problem is that the company seems completely unresponsive. I tried to order the set of "feet" and could not. I wrote them an email inquiring about how to do this. I filled out the online messaging form. I tried calling them and the call would not go through (I am located in the US).

I resorted to obtaining a substitute toe point from Uni-loc, the maker of a tripod that is very similar to the Benbo. The part was not quite the correct size.

Benbo tripods are still sold by a few merchants, including B&H Photovideo in New York. I inquired to B&H about the status of customer service and spare parts for Benbo tripods and got an unsatisfactory answer.

I suppose I can use a pipe end cap or something similar to cover up the bare metal of the tripod leg, but I would rather have the correct part. Does anyone know whether Paterson Photographic Equipment is still in business? Any other owners of Benbo tripods out there?

Hi GrandNagus 50

I also own a Benbo tripod and have just replaced the feet on it, I got mine from the following: [email protected] as you can see by the address the company is Uniloc. The guy I dealt with was called Dante Mody, he was very prompt and the product was as near perfect as you could get in fact a very near match to the original feet. The internal measurement of the feet is 33mm and to put them on you put them in boiling water for a minute to soften them and the slip on like a glove. I wish you well and every success in obtaining the feet and hopefully you will be delighted as I was.

Kindest Regards
R.John.B

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back