• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (22 Viewers)

Titchwell February 2nd

Today's highlights (on a truly horrible day!)

Woodcock - 1 in scrub near carpark
Mealy redpoll - 1 feeding with goldfinch flock near feeders

Paul

thankyou

Proably a Male Merlin.

Yes I have come to the conclusion it must have been with no noticeable moustache. A first for me I was hoping someone else might have seen it at titchwell to give me a bit more confidence in my convictions.:t:

I walked down to Gorleston harbour this lunchtime to take some photographs of the Turnstones. There were about a dozen of them running around on the pier, which is always nice to see. I also noticed three of them feeding on the large sea defence rocks along the new outer harbour wall. Does anyone think some of the Purple Sandpipers at Ness Point in Lowestoft might eventually find their way there? It looks similar habitat to me. It would be nice if they did.

Ron

You'd think the little blighter would 'do the decent thing' and start singing! I think they can have a fairly largish territory in the winter when food is harder to find but I'm not sure if the continental birds behave in the same way ours do??

I spent Saturday and part of Sunday doing my usual dipping trick. I can only comfort myself with the fact that I shall be on Mull in a couple of weeks time, with a Dipper territory right outside the cottage door .... just not a black-bellied one! Which I guess makes me completely barmy to be doing the chasing around I am for this bird - my only excuse being I love Dippers and have never seen a black-bellied.

Irene

Hi Irene

After ALL the hardwork you have put in looking for this - I really hope you strike lucky before you go to Mull - you deserve it:t:

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

I walked down to Gorleston harbour this lunchtime to take some photographs of the Turnstones. There were about a dozen of them running around on the pier, which is always nice to see. I also noticed three of them feeding on the large sea defence rocks along the new outer harbour wall. Does anyone think some of the Purple Sandpipers at Ness Point in Lowestoft might eventually find their way there? It looks similar habitat to me. It would be nice if they did.

Ron

I think it has happened now and again in the past, though not consistently or with more than one or two birds.

With the introduction of the outer harbour, there's definitely potential for Purps and other maritime species in the area (perhaps divers and grebes in hard weather)... though I guess the problem might be getting sufficient access to see them?

After ALL the hardwork you have put in looking for this - I really hope you strike lucky before you go to Mull

Thanks very much Penny for the kind thought - although I'm nowhere near challenging Dave's world record breaking number of attempts quite yet! And really hope I don't have to get near his record 19th time lucky in order to see it!

Irene

Penduline Tit reported at Strumpshaw Fen today. Anyone know any more?

P.S. - hope those who missed the Lakenheath bird strike lucky if they go for this one.:t:

Titchwell February 5th

Today's highlights - lots of snow, not many birds!

Woodcock - 3 in willow scrub around visitor centre
Water pipit - 1 on fresh marsh
Bittern - 1 from Fen Hide

Paul

Mystery east of Norwich & south of A47- Strumpshaw Fenduline Tit !

I second mr.sim's enquiry.

The RSPB's Strumpshaw Fen's Reserve's sightings webpage shows nothing later than November 2008. Presumably, there have been no birds present since then.

RBA had one message, timed 1354h.

Did no-one even look after this time? No-one seems to have visited there today, either. I know Penduline Tit's not exactly the rarest bird ever to have been seen in the county, but this is taking sangfroid to its extreme.

Mind you, anyone with the means and any sense is somewhere hot (or at least warm), a few hour's plane ride away.

Mind you, anyone with the means and any sense is somewhere hot (or at least warm), a few hour's plane ride away.

I'm fine with the snow...school being closed and all that! Also quite a few birds moving over the house this morning - 4 Yellowhammers, 2 Pied Wagtails, 2 Skylarks, 1 Linnet - and I live in a relatively urban area!

Wild goose chasing again
Weather permitting I will be looking for rings and collars on the north Norfolk Pink-feet from Tuesday to Friday next week - if there are any geese left to sift through.
Back in early December several BF members helped with tips on where birds were feeding and I would be very grateful for similar assistance this time.
I was planning to do the Happisburgh and Horsey areas as well but lack of time and money have knocked that on the head this trip.

Steve

Ditto the Cockley Cley Cattle Egret John. Little Egret reported there today but no news on the Bubulcus...

James

Well, I believe it was only present on the 3rd February, as opposed to the 4th February for the 2nd day (a 'mistake in translation' when it was reported to RBA apparantly). Photos have been taken.

C

I know this is a bit off thread but there are a lot of visible migration fans here in Norfolk.
Check out the images at http://www.pbase.com/lightrae/migrant_birds

Absiolutely awesome!! :D

Amazing site Dave, thanks for the link. It would be awesome to experience something half as good in the UK! Makes you wonder that when we have a series of low pressures coming across the Atlantic in Aumtumn how much we must miss!
Absolutely amazing!

Titchwell February 6th

Today's highlights

Med gull - 2 adults roosting on fresh marsh
Woodcock - 1 in visitor centre scrub
Pochard - 45 on brackish marsh
Peregrine - 1 roosting in dead trees
Dark bellied brent goose - 250 on fresh marsh

Paul

Sainsbury's Special: 3-for-1 at North Walsham

Not so much crestfallen as crestsodden.

These would-be punks don't need hair gel, they just use fresh, wet snow.

Very confiding birds, sometimes even below head height.

Anyone who hasn't seen a Waxwing this year, or for some time, these look 'on'. Plenty of berries left.

Attachments

• P1050788#001.jpg
    P1050788#001.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 77
  • P1050759#001.jpg
    P1050759#001.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 69
Titchwell January 7th

Today's highlights

Caspian gull - 3rd winter briefly early afternoon
Med gull - adult on fresh marsh
Pintail - 100 on fresh marsh
Black brant - adult on brackish marsh
Avocet - 8 on brackish marsh
Water pipit - 1 on brackish marsh
Stonechat - 1 on grazing marsh
Barn owl - 1 hunting over grazing marsh

Paul

Wild goose chasing again
Weather permitting I will be looking for rings and collars on the north Norfolk Pink-feet from Tuesday to Friday next week - if there are any geese left to sift through. Back in early December several BF members helped with tips on where birds were feeding and I would be very grateful for similar assistance this time.

Hi Steve,

I haven't come across any large flocks recently in the West Norfolk area, so possibly can only help with where they arent at the moment! Which might save a bit of driving around looking I suppose...

A couple of weeks ago, there were large flocks in the Anmer area, east of Sandringham but trips past this week have yielded empty fields. Similarly, the Flitcham area seems deserted. We're not getting big numbers overhead at Dersingham at dusk heading for the Snettisham roost any more - just a few hundred here and there.

I did have sizeable flocks inland from Wells about 10 days ago, feeding in the fields at the back of Holkham around Wighton but I've not been back in the area recently so don't know what the current situation is.

If I get out and about in the next day or so and come across anything else, I'll post it.

Hope you have some luck.

Irene

Hi Steve
One of the Pinkfeet at Lady Annes Drive had a neck collar on on Tuesday evening but I couldnt read it. The Geese there have been very hit and miss this week with 10,000+ on Tuesday night then very few since. On Wednesday there were c6,000 feeding right at the far west end of the Holkham area viewed from the flood bank at Burnham Overy Staithe mid afternoon but they then flew inland.

cheers Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back