• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First pictures with FSB-6 bracket on P5000/ED82 (1 Viewer)

mark_s

Here are my first pictures using Nikon's FSB-6 bracket on the P5000 and ED82. I'm rather pleased with the results so far. Both photos were taken at 1/60 second and have equiv. focal lengths of 3168 mm (Black Cap photographed from the front) and 3744 mm.

In my excitement I left the camera set to program mode and not aperture priority! Doh! I also mistakenly had matrix metering activated on the first shot (Black Cap from front) and then switched to spot metering on the second shot (why didn't I choose centre-weighted?! Doh!). Despite the very bright cloudy sky in the background and the bird somewhat shaded by the tree, the camera still did a pretty good job, I think. Just some chromatic aberration on the wing/sky edge in the first shot (Black Cap from front) and on the beak in the second shot (which I managed to remove).

All in all, I'm very happy with this setup so far and am really pleased with the FSB-6 bracket. Now I just have to practice loads more!

Attachments

• 20070619-DSCN0348.jpg
    20070619-DSCN0348.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 321
  • 20070619-DSCN0353.jpg
    20070619-DSCN0353.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 266
Original images

Yes, horukuru, I did apply a little PS. I thought I'd post the original pics as well, so you can compare - I've had to reduce their size though from 10 mp to the BF 800-pixel size limit (I exported straight from Lightroom).

Attachments

• DSCN0348.jpg
    DSCN0348.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCN0353.jpg
    DSCN0353.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 146
what would digiscoping be without a little PS though?
in my mind they go hand in hand, especially if you shoot a lot in grey sky / rainy conditions like i do, living here on the "wet" coast of Canada.

nice shots mark, looks promising : )

Mark,
Like the shots. What eyepiece were you using?

Mark, nice shots.

Will get that same bracket in about a week and plan to use it on the new P5100. Did you use the 30x DS eyepiece and what was the ISO setting?

Yup, I used the 30x Wide DS eyepiece. I find it very easy to use with the FSB-6 bracket.

The ISO settings were 67 and 218. (I had set the camera to auto ISO).

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back