• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Caspian Plover or Dotterel? NE Greece (1 Viewer)

royc

Seen 12/09/18 in Evros delta,seen at a distance.First thought a Dotterel,but when got back to England and got better view of photos not sure now.

Attachments

• DSCN0583.jpg
    DSCN0583.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 355
  • DSCN0584.jpg
    DSCN0584.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 206
I'm not arguing against Golden Plover (cause it fits in most ways), but I've never seen so long a tibia (the distance from the tarsus joint to where the feathering on the tibia begins).

Others may have noticed that in this respect it's uncannily like a Pacific Plover.

Peter

Ditto PGP; also note the very long primaries :t:

It's AGP that has the long primaries.

On this bird the pp is only reaching a little way beyond the tail, much as in many EGPs. Doesn't do this bird any harm as it's further confirmation of PGP :smoke:

Last edited:
It's AGP that has the long primaries.

On this bird the pp is only reaching a little way beyond the tail, much as in many EGPs. Doesn't do this bird any harm as a typical of PGP :smoke:
Thought they both did, but with AGP even longer? Certainly looks long-winged to me compared to EGP.

Thought they both did, but with AGP even longer? Certainly looks long-winged to me compared to EGP.

I think the whole bird looks more elegant than EGP, which might contribute to a long-winged impression?

Agree AGP is the longest-winged, extending well beyond the tail-tip (and with shorter tertials meaning plenty of exposed primaries) but there are plenty of EGPs with pps at least as long as on the bird in post #1.

Attachments

• GPs.jpg
    GPs.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 74
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back