• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (1 Viewer)

I was about to retire for a nice sleep when I decided to have a look at your studio... and what do I find? A lovely collection of sketches of Avocets.

I would like to tell you quickly a litle story. When I was little, my twin sister and I were fascinated by the beak of the Avocet, and we used to draw the Avocet's head to look who could get the more realistic sketch... but she always beat me! :(

I would like to see a proper painting of an Avocet by you. Surely you can get something really beautiful. I hope this one in Orkney inspires you... ;)

No time for a drink... maybe tomorrow...

Hi tim howsyour polly tunnel coming on [briliant things]went over the willow burn this afternoon and the greay wagtail is still about,icelands still at piedie sea[4yesterday]med gull been about there end of the week,any way gota go cheers.

Real nice sketches Tim. You're right it's hard to get too excited about avocets down here in Kent. They're lovely, elegant birds though so they're still nice to see. It's just a case of what you're used to I suppose. I'm looking forward to the painting already.

Woody

Hi, Tim!
I was sure that the "silence" had to do with preparing your self for something new!
For me creativity is almost always combined with isolation and silence.
Brilliant sketches als always once again!
I'm very curious of the picture to foollow Tim!
At the moment , I'm very busy with a commission, depicting a Lanner Falcon.
Attached the two preliminary sketches, drawn in Watercolours.
I hope you will like them...

Spizaetos

www.dougalis-art.com

Attachments

• Komposition-Lannerfalke.jpg
    Komposition-Lannerfalke.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 173
  • Komposition-Lannerfalke.jpg1.jpg
    Komposition-Lannerfalke.jpg1.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 167
I there folks - thanks for the support and encouragement, I really appreciate it (like Buzzard said recently - it really helps when you work in solitude to know that there are many others out there doing exactly the same - comforting to know that I'm not the only one with no mates - ha ha!!! ;) )
As you can probably guess the fingers are a little better (just suffering from arthritis now - oh, hum!) and I want to get on with the avocet piece but I have been 'gently reminded' by Sal that I need to complete a seal painting (for cards and prints - touristy stuff, but hopefully I can maintain some integrity to the piece) and I've got to get some more graphics out of the way (be nice if I got paid once in a while).
I've also just completed the latest Yorkshire Post article (Marian - it's published this Saturday, but they seem to have re-designed the website and I'm not sure how the links will work - I'll try and find out at the weekend and mail you the link. Oh - and a TWIN are you - this is far too intriguing - we all must see a pic of the Alvarez sisters!!! - still waiting for VB's mugshot too - she's been quiet). I'll post one of me (this time with my eyes open) with the next installment.
Paschalis - I love the two sketches and in my opinion, I think the second one will work really well - the rocky backdrop will give you loads of scope to echo the tortoise-shell textures and colours.
Still haven't seen the white-wings Dafi, maybe get a chance over the weekend.
Cheers Arthur and Woody - drinks are getting warm - better get 'em down you quick.
Cheers.

timwootton said:
still waiting for VB's mugshot too - she's been quiet.

Yeah, sorry about that. I've had a migrain over the weekend and have tried to stay away from VDU screens as much as possible. (o)<

There will be a mugshot at some point. Maybe. ;)

spizaetos said:
Hi, Tim!
I was sure that the "silence" had to do with preparing your self for something new!
For me creativity is almost always combined with isolation and silence.
Brilliant sketches als always once again!
I'm very curious of the picture to foollow Tim!
At the moment , I'm very busy with a commission, depicting a Lanner Falcon.
Attached the two preliminary sketches, drawn in Watercolours.
I hope you will like them...

Spizaetos

www.dougalis-art.com

Hello all

Tim - sorry to hear about your barbed wire entanglement.

Spitzaetos- that Lanner is a beauty. Who gets to choose which of sketch #1 or #2 goes forward as the commission? Just personally I like sketch #2 best, with the brighter background and the gingery tones on the Lanner's crown picked up in the rockface. Now if by any chance you go forward with #1 as the commission and sketch #2 is for sale just as it is, drop me a PM..

Also much prefer the rocky outcrop in the background, tonewise and compositionwise...
Lovely sketch, finished work should be a beauty.

Wip

Grey seals layout drawing - I think the addition of the oystercatchers caters for my need to make it a painting (rather than a design, if there's a difference). The little sketch is how I imagine the avocet piece might look and the field sketch is re-posted as the previous one is blurry (maybe that's no bad thing, come to think of it!)

Attachments

• Seals.jpg
    Seals.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 144
  • AvSketch.jpg
    AvSketch.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 149
  • avocet.jpg
    avocet.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 141
timwootton said:
Grey seals layout drawing - I think the addition of the oystercatchers caters for my need to make it a painting (rather than a design, if there's a difference). The little sketch is how I imagine the avocet piece might look and the field sketch is re-posted as the previous one is blurry (maybe that's no bad thing, come to think of it!)

Really like the seal composition Tim, sure it will be a great success. Avocet looks promising too, often find it takes time to get these estuarine scenes right, can suffer from overcrowding if the birds are not laid out properly. The gulls/shelduck in the background are a winner though, perhaps a couple more barwits might help to put focus on the lone avocet, just a thought.

buzzard12 said:
Really like the seal composition Tim, sure it will be a great success. Avocet looks promising too, often find it takes time to get these estuarine scenes right, can suffer from overcrowding if the birds are not laid out properly. The gulls/shelduck in the background are a winner though, perhaps a couple more barwits might help to put focus on the lone avocet, just a thought.
It's a thought I'd considered Alan, and I will put some more in - they'll help to bring the composition forward, I hope. Thanks for the input - appreciated.

The studio looks as busy as ever! The sketches are wonderful. I really like the seals with the oystercatchers! The birds give the piece depth. It's nice to see you've been busy and that your injuries are healing.

Spizaetos - The falcon pieces are beautiful. That is a tough call. Both have there strengths and, yet, both are completely different! Whoever is getting the piece is one smart cookie to commission you to do it!

I've been working on a hooded merganser piece and I will post it when finished... gotta get back to it.
Later,
Peter
www.mathiosstudios.net

I've been a bit snowed under with retouching work, if I stop for a drink I may be drowned under it!

I'll take a swift half and tell you how much I like the seals and the avocet. Because they are so numerous down here I'm not used to seeing avocet on their own but it makes it stand out as special among the mixed company. Looking forward to development as everyone else.

I'm going to go against the throng on the falcon sketches Spitzy and vote for the first one. I was drawn to it somehow, I think perhaps the rocky background is too strong, being in the warm colours, and for me it slightly confuses the composition. Just my opinion though and I'm sure whichever way you go the finished piece will be stunning.

Chin! Chin! And TTFN

Woody

Love the prelims, Spizaetos ... and the mismatched company.

Great avocet sketches Tim, nothing quite like an afternoon with a rarity! We don't get many avocets in my neck of the woods either, which is perhaps why this remains one of my own favourite sketches. I only had time for one page before I was completely drenched with rain, which could be the other reason I like this one ... I never really feel satisfied at the end of the day unless I've suffered a little under the elements!

Attachments

• sketchbook 2006-09-03.jpg
    sketchbook 2006-09-03.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 143
Hi Jomo - Beautifully observed (and designed) page of drawings, this. The preening birds are exquisite. Good to see you 'suffer' for your art - it's rare I get an hour's drawing done without the windchill fusing my fingers together (watch Buzzard come back with some -28 degrees story! ;) ).
Good to hear from you again - completed any 'larger' works recently? We'd love to see them if you have.
See ya.

Jomo - Just been back on your website. Firstly the link you have as a signature doesn't take you direct - I'm posting another one to se if that works for people wanting to see your stuff (very highly recommended, anyone reading this) - www.jmoudesluys.com and I also can't seem to navigate around the site other than the (wonderful) sketckbooks element - are you re-designing or is there some server problem (or is it just me????).
The website frontispiece is stunning and I would love to see more - but I can't!!
Let me know what's happening, please.

Not just you Tim, I can't navigate round Jomo's site either. The sketchbooks are worth the visit on their own though.

Woody

timwootton said:
Hi Jomo - Beautifully observed (and designed) page of drawings, this. The preening birds are exquisite. Good to see you 'suffer' for your art - it's rare I get an hour's drawing done without the windchill fusing my fingers together (watch Buzzard come back with some -28 degrees story! ;) ).
Good to hear from you again - completed any 'larger' works recently? We'd love to see them if you have.
See ya.

Tis a balmy -2 degrees here at the moment Tim, almost tropical!! Planning a day out tomorrow to take advantage!!

jomo said:
Love the prelims, Spizaetos ... and the mismatched company.

Great avocet sketches Tim, nothing quite like an afternoon with a rarity! We don't get many avocets in my neck of the woods either, which is perhaps why this remains one of my own favourite sketches. I only had time for one page before I was completely drenched with rain, which could be the other reason I like this one ... I never really feel satisfied at the end of the day unless I've suffered a little under the elements!

This is a great page of fieldwork Jomo, really impressive, so well drawn. The composition is lovely too, love the tinted paper. The preening bird with dropped wing though is so natural, you can sense how relaxed the bird was at that moment. Full of lovely observations, such as the scratching bird. Really enjoyed these, look forward to more...
The arrow indicating the motion of the sweeping motion of the bill prescribes a hundred words. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back