• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Window strike - happy ending - another close-up photo opportunity! (1 Viewer)

songbird6666

I was just going back indoors from filling up the feeders just now and I heard the sickening thunk that I know is from a bird hitting a window. Not mine, because I have fruit netting over my living room one for the past two summers. Next door neighbours. Suddenly a female chaffinch appeared on the top of my fence and was just about able to balance, obviously very dizzy, and opened her beak, gasping for air, eyes glazed. I know there is a sparrowhawk coming virtually every day at this time, and I wasn't going to let her become its tea, so I stood and talked to her for about five minutes, I thought it best not to grab her off the fence, but just leave her to regain her composure. I did, however,dash in and get the camera (getting good at this, I think I must start carrying it with me permanently!) and managed to get a few close ups.. ;)

After about 7 or 8 minutes, she suddenly realised I was within touching distance, and flew off safely, thank goodness. :bounce:

Attachments

• stunned female chaffinch.jpg
    stunned female chaffinch.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 224
That's great news songbird! Brilliant pic, too! I had a survivor Blue Tit window strike about this time last year - it was fine, if not a little dazed, like your Chaffinch. A young Blackbird (plus another in my neighbour's garden) and a Wren were not so lucky this year.

She was very lucky,yesterday i heard the same thud and looked over the fence to see blue tit lying dead on the ground,it had flown straight into my neighbours greenhouse,she had shut the door as the day before two birds had flown in and couldn't get out!

Had a starling hit a patio door window at my in-laws in Wolverhampton, it left a perfect full body print including outstretched wings. Wish I had a peice of black card and my camera, it would have made a fantastic picture (starling was ok btw)

For the first time in ages, had a back garden window strike today - but with a VERY happy ending! I heard a thump against my window and looked up to see a female House Sparrow flying away from it! She didn't even fall or seem to acknowledge the fact that she had almost just killed herself!

Well done Songbird for helping the female chaffinch....and great photo! :clap:
Despite living in an area that is surrounded by so many birds we've been very fortunate to only have one bird fly into a window.
Earlier this summer Neil was cleaning his car with the doors both wide open. He heard a dull thump and looked around, puzzled, and was horrified to see a tiny scrap of a bird lying without moving on the ground! :eek!: First I knew of it was when he began yelling ''Gill, Gill...'' I rushed out to see him looking at something on the ground and couldn't see what it was at first. Then saw him - 'our' male Willow Warbler who'd only just arrived back from his wintering grounds a fortnight before!
I picked him up and he seemed lifeless at first but then I noticed him panting rapidly, though not opening his eyes, so I took him indoors and put him inside a shoebox lined with newspaper and put him inside the airing cupboard ( only place we have that is dark and warm) for an hours' peace and quiet.
One hour later I could hear him scratching around inside the box so took him back outside and let Neil open the lid to release him. He flew up to the nearest tree branch and seemed fit and well - though probably had a crashing headache with the force he hit Neil's car window!!! ;)
Happily the next morning we heard him singing away and knew that he'd recovered ok. :bounce: And he's still singing even now in the middle of July!

Gill

That;s great news Gill! Though not a window strike or anything, for some (cat-related) reason there is a unknown bird's wing on the drive!

tp20uk said:
...there is a unknown bird's wing on the drive!

How bizarre :h?: ...I often used to see unattached wings too when I lived in towns. Despite liking cats an awful lot I AM pleased that there aren't any on the farm that we live next door to - it means 'my' birds are free to come and go in safety and, especially at this time of year, there are fledglings EVERYWHERE and I don't have to worry about anything taking them!

*other than the local Sparrowhawks but that is just nature!*

Don't know HOW i'm going to cope if I ever have to move back to a house next to other folk!!! :eek!: I try not to think about it!!!

Gill

Good it Songbird! Its just a small bird of many but then we ourselves are just one of many and each life whether it be human or not is precious.
And no 'but let nature take its coarse' as we as usual put up glass or run cars its the way we have progressed(if thats the right word) so i have an obligation to save ANY animal that has been hurt by our Doings.

So the question arrises if its not down to man and a natural event occurs should we help?
Only you yourself can make that descision but IMO helping any damaged or attacked animal will not change the Balance of Nature , we need to address much higher Powers to do that so these people can stop erroding our countryside for everyones sake.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back