• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norwich Birding (1 Viewer)

The cold spell has resulted in a large number of otherwise unsual sightings around the city. I'll try to collate them into a blog post soon, but for those not on social media:

Coues's Arctic Redpoll - still at Whitlingham C.P. with a mixed Lesser/Mealy flock, favouring the area of Alders along the edge of the Great Broad west from the visitors centre.
Smew, Pintail, Bittern, Goosander, Caspian Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, Dunlin, Redshank all seen at Whitlingham and/or Thorpe Marshes in the past few days
A drake Mandarin on the river near Thorpe River Green
1st-winter Glaucous Gull still around, mostly being seen in west Norwich but doesn't seem to have a regular routine. Earlham/Bowthorpe Marshes and the area near the WAterworks have both had multiple sights.
Redshank and Snipe seen along the river Wensum near Andersons Meadow

Also lots of Fieldfares - I had my first one for my current garden yesterday, and the possibility of Woodcock turning up in random places, although hopefully now we are past the worst of it they will head back into more normal habitat to feed up.

Happy birding, James.

Thank you James,
I caught some of those, but nothing too unusual at home.
Fieldfare on feeder, but that's not a first.
Red legged Partridges have taken over the ground under a feeder.
Thank you for the update.
Harry

Redshank in the cold

I work at a timber yard on Barn Rd in Norwich and on Thursday last had a Redshank sheltering in one of our open wood sheds. We are only about 100 meters from the river.

I heard a brief snatch of Black Redstart song outside the entrance to Castle Mall in central Norwich this morning. I looked up but couldn't see the bird, though that's not entirely surprising given the location.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back