• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sri Lanka November/December 2015 (1 Viewer)

Great shots again with this story of an amazing day! Love the mirror scene and the bee-eater! Well and all the rest, really..... . Yala and Bundala are both in our itinerary.
Peter

Well, not quite the experience you had hoped for, Dave! Having a visit you had looked forward to so much turn out this way because of the flooded roads must have been very disappointing. I hope you managed some more rewarding trips after this. I also hope the roads will be better in four weeks' time....:)
Peter

Well, not quite the experience you had hoped for, Dave! Having a visit you had looked forward to so much turn out this way because of the flooded roads must have been very disappointing. I hope you managed some more rewarding trips after this. I also hope the roads will be better in four weeks' time....:)
Peter

The weather forecast suggests it's still raining now and again in Sri Lanka but as long as it's not monsoonal the sun starts to dry things out quickly. Hopefully Bundala will be back to it's previous best but that said I guess some of the water loving birds seen in Yala will be missing I suppose.
Another chapter added to my blog too and yes, there are more goodies yet to come!

Some superb photos again! The Stilts with the waterdrops and the Cuckoo shots are really special. And to finish up with the Blue- faced Malkoha must have been a real bonus. What a beautiful bird. Lugging around a 600mm lens can't be easy, but it does get you amazing shots! Well, if you know how to handle it, of course, and you certainly do.I will be taking the 100-400II, but with the crop camera (7DII) at least it will give me a similar reach. And less strain on my back;)
Peter

That's it then. This travel blog finished. I don't do "hardcore" birding trips most of the time. They are general interest travelogues that keep me and my non birding wife both happy, a situation which is all too common for many of us!
Sri Lanka has so much to offer for both as it has both historical interest as well as natural beauty.
We didn't return this time but I would highly recommend visiting Kalpitiya on the North West coast and taking a Dolphin trip, Sigiriya for the incredible rock palace remains. As you have read the train journey from Kandy through to Ella or part of, Yala and Bundala National parks as well as Whale watching in Mirissa are well worth the effort of doing. Many birders choose to take a different trail to include more potential species and one day I too hope I might get to Sinharaja and Kitulgala, maybe even Horton's Plain although the latter seems to offer little more than a good walk.
I hope my report inspires more people to visit, and maybe take in some places they hadn't planned going to on their trip. Likewise I look forward and hope to read reports on places on my wish list too.
All the best for your travel plans wherever they may be in the coming year.
Hope it's a good one.
Dave

Thanks for that great report Dave - I always enjoy reading about your travels and looking at the outstanding photos :) Horton's Plains aren't bad from a birding point of view, I managed to pick up a few endemics and other good birds plus an outstanding hovering and diving Black-shouldered Kite there. As you say, it's a good walk (best to go round anti-clockwise) and if (big if) World's End is free of clouds it's a fabulous view.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful trip report with us. I really enjoyed reading each episode, both for the way you tell about your travels and the great photos. I hope this hew year wil bring you many more of these moments!
Peter

Great photos as always

Great photos as always and despite seeing all bar one of the target species in Sri Lanka your travelogue may inspire us to return

fantastic photos and a brilliant report,almost feel like I was there with you(I think we did meet last year at trigrad gorge and againat sofia airport,i was one of the durham lads,also enjoyed your Bulgaria report)well done and thanks for taking the time to share

Fantastic trip report! I'm only halfway through, but am enjoying it immensely. It definitely puts Sri Lanka on my radar for future trips.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back