• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible Sedge Warbler (1 Viewer)

Trevor Thompson

This bird was the size of a wren, but slimmer. I took this shot on the Algarve coastline over the Christmas holidays 2007/8. The aquatic warbler is another candidate but I can't get any further.
Any help would be welcome.

Attachments

• dd (45)a.jpg
    dd (45)a.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 233
It looks like a fan-tailed warbler (or zitting cisticola) to me, though I've no experience of them so could well be wrong.

Not a bird I'm familiar with but I'm going to stick my neck out and say it's definitely not a Sedge Warbler. How about Zitting Cisticola Cisticola juncidis (used to be known as Fan-tailed Warbler).

Hey I was right. It so long to type the name, I let others beat me to it.

Last edited:
Hi Trevor
Where abouts on the Algarve did you see it?.
I am going to Albufeira in two weeks time and would like to look and see if it`s still around.

Albufeira is exactly where we stayed
Quinta do Lago is the place.
Continue past roundabout 6 (called number 6) and park in the sun protected car park. It was free parking but I think they may be charging soon.
The Zitting Cistocola was in the succulents at the golf course edge, just where the golf course turns away from the shoreline. There is a lake here. It is easy to miss. Turn along the golfcourse edge to find it. There are purple gallinules in the lake, and it has a hide nearby.
Best of luck

One more pro-Zitting Cisticola point: the fact that the bird was seen over the Christmas holidays would make Sedge and Aquatic Warblers extremely unlikely, as both are long-distance migrants and, as such, they should be well down in Africa around now.
Plumage and structure rules those two out also.

Albufeira is exactly where we stayed
Quinta do Lago is the place.
Continue past roundabout 6 (called number 6) and park in the sun protected car park. It was free parking but I think they may be charging soon.
The Zitting Cistocola was in the succulents at the golf course edge, just where the golf course turns away from the shoreline. There is a lake here. It is easy to miss. Turn along the golfcourse edge to find it. There are purple gallinules in the lake, and it has a hide nearby.
Best of luck

Stranger, you've probably got the gen you need, however I visited Quinta do Lago during a trip to Portugal back in '01, with notes in my trip report, if it helps at all! http://www.birdtours.co.uk/tripreports/Portugal/portugal8/portugal2001.htm

Nice site when I visited it, and great views of Purple Swamp-hen.

Cheers, BT

Stranger, you've probably got the gen you need, however I visited Quinta do Lago during a trip to Portugal back in '01, with notes in my trip report, if it helps at all! http://www.birdtours.co.uk/tripreports/Portugal/portugal8/portugal2001.htm

Nice site when I visited it, and great views of Purple Swamp-hen.

Cheers, BT
Thanks.
I know Quinta de Lagos quite well from previous trips and have spent many a happy day by the lake that Trevor mentions.
I was lucky enough to see a Bluethroat ,Purple Gallinule (Swamp Hen) and Red Crested Pochard there last Feb.

From what i remember of southern Spain, Fan-tailed warblers were pretty common, so you shouldn't struggle to see them, although i don't know whether they'll be singing at this time of year.

They were singing (if that can be called a song!) two days ago in Mallorca. I'm sure they can be doing the same in Portugal.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back