• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with ID Please - Midwest USA (1 Viewer)

BirdDope

Newbie Bird Watcher
I saw this little guy yesterday (Nov. 22) in the Linden trees in the parkway along our house (location - northern Illinois, USA). He was pecking about, going about halfway up the trunk, like he was looking for insects or something? Not sure what he might find at this time of year. When he finished with one trunk, he'd fly to the next Linden trunk and start all over. Whenever he'd go to the next tree he'd chirp a few notes. I never saw a bird like him before.

Anyone know what he is?

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSCF0360r.jpg
    DSCF0360r.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF0380r.jpg
    DSCF0380r.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF0387r.jpg
    DSCF0387r.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCF0389r.jpg
    DSCF0389r.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCF0404r.jpg
    DSCF0404r.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Yes, the bill is too short to be a Hairy.
See Downys all the time here. Entertaining little birds.
Female left, male right in my pic.

Attachments

• Downy Woodpecker (female, male).JPG
    Downy Woodpecker (female, male).JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 48
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back