Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Images for the web

Old Tuesday 16th March 2010, 15:52   #1
Jackie Garner

Images for the web

I'm new to BirdForum, so forgive me if this has already been covered on these pages.

As a wildlife artist I'm constantly needing to send people images of my work to publicise exhibitions, open studios, art classes etc. Great, I'm happy to do that, but can anyone offer advice about size and resolution of images please? Obviously I want people to see good images of my paintings, but I don't want the unscrupulous out there to be able to use my work for their own purposes.

Any advice gratefully received - especially if it isn't too technical!
Old Tuesday 16th March 2010, 15:58   #2
Mono
Hi!
BF Supporter 2020

A good start would be if you could tell us waht image editing software you use, or are otherwise confident with.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 16th March 2010, 16:04   #3
Jackie Garner

Photoshop 5.0 - but I'm a beginner rather than confident.
Old Wednesday 17th March 2010, 10:58   #4
Mono
Hi!
BF Supporter 2020

If you are sending them images just so that they can see examples of your work then I would resize them so that they can see the picture but it is too small to be of any use. An image of side length of less than 800 pixels is really of no use commercially but will give people an idea of your work. In Photoshop use Image > Image Size and then change the Pixel Dimensions of the longest side to 800, make sure Resample Image and Constrain Proportions are ticked. You can then use File > Save As.. to save the reduced version as a Jpeg, you can reduce the quality of the Jpeg to further erode the usability of the image but that will detract from the image as a representation of your work. If you want people to be able to see the detail of your image then you can crop an area and send just that. To do this select an area with the Rectangular Marquee tool, if you do this with the Info palette open, Window > Info, you can see the size of the box you are drawing and then you won't need to resize it. When you have your area, go to Image > Crop and then save as above. It is important not to use the File > Save as this will overwrite your original always use Save As..

You can also use the text tool to put a message on the image, name, web address. Make sure you have the Layers Palette open Window > Layers then by clicking on the text layer you can move it around or by double clicking change it. When you are satisfied you should got to Layer > Flatten Image before saving as. Some folk use various effects to add a huge copyright symbol over the whole image, whilst undoubtedly effective it in my opinion it despoils the image too much.

If you are sending an image for inclusion in a catalogue or in promotional material then it is in your interest to make it good quality and of usable dimensions, you will just have to trust the people you send it too. But I would also fill in your information in the image meta-data, if you go to File > File Info you can enter your details and they will travel round with the image.

Hope this helps.

Mono

Last edited by Mono : Wednesday 17th March 2010 at 11:01.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 17th March 2010, 15:12   #5
colleenc

Wow thanks for the post Mono, I found it very useful too, there is a Photoshop thread here with info we are all collecting and adding maybe you would copy and paste this post in there
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread....ight=photoshop

Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best. Henry Van Dyke

BF Supporter 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 17th March 2010, 18:53   #6
Jackie Garner

Many thanks Mono, that's really helpful. Hope others will find it useful too; I can't be the only one in this situation.
Old Friday 19th March 2010, 14:19   #7
Woody

Welcome to the best bit of BF Jackie.

Mono's explained it all really, images on the internet are no real good for print generally as the resolution is too low. I always look at it that anyone who is prepared to download any low res images of mine and use them to print out and put on their walls or whatever was never going to be a paying customer anyway so I've not really lost anything. In fact if it helps to 'spread the word' then that's a good thing.

Looking forward to your contributions to our little subforum, I loved the penguins!

Mike

http://www.wildlifeart1.co.uk/
http://thescolopaxchronicles.blogspot.com/
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: