• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (15 Viewers)

Cuckoo at Mildenham this morning.
Two Marsh Tits and two Spotted Flycatchers at Knight's Grove.
Two Grey Partridges and two Yellowhammers along Sinton Lane.
5 freshly fledged Swallows at Tapenhall.
Lesser Whitethroat at Chatley and 2 near Tapenhall.
A male Kestrel caught a vole near Linacre bridge.

Little Grebe and Tufted Duck still on the small pool between Chatley and Hawford again this morning.

3 Scarlet Tiger Moths seen this afternoon.

Last edited:
Cuckoo

Walked down the canal towpath and saw the juvenile cuckoo being feed at approx 1.30pm today. I parked at the church (salawarpe) passed both coney marsh gates. The cuckoo was just passed the second bridge near the football fields. I only had my macro lens, as i was on my way to Trench wood for butterflies. It flew 5-6 metres to another tree 3 times and every time did a tumble in flight. It was constantly making a begging call. Maybe worth checking it out tomorrow Dave?

My shot of the Juv cuckoo. Many thanks to @Sureshot for locating it for me, and a pleasure to meet you too. :t:

Attachments

• juvcuck.jpg
    juvcuck.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 42
Good views of the juv Cuckoo this evening (cheers Nick).
The Grasshopper Warbler started singing at 9:30pm in Coney.
5 Sand Martins and 7 Swallows over at dusk possibly roosted.
At least 6 Marbled Whites earlier plus Burnet and Cinnabar Moths.
8 Glow worms seen - 1 Gorsey Bank, 1 on the railway track and 6 between the allotments and the Romans Way (4 of which were along the grass verge).

Hi.. Is it St Michaels Church to park at ? was thinking of going later this morning, thanks

Yes, you can park there and follow the directions already posted.

However, you can park a lot closer - there is a small car park along the Ombersley Way near where it crosses the river Salwarpe. From there, you can walk 150 metres to rejoin the canal and then (bearing left) walk approximately another 150 metres along it. Alternatively, you can take a more direct route by crossing the Ombersley way and walking across the playing field and check out the trees bordering the right hand side of the field (only c 150 metres in total). Listen for the hissing begging call is my best advice. All the best.

However, you can park a lot closer - there is a small car park along the Ombersley Way near where it crosses the river Salwarpe. From there, you can walk 150 metres to rejoin the canal and then (bearing left) walk approximately another 150 metres along it. Alternatively, you can take a more direct route by crossing the Ombersley way and walking across the playing field and check out the trees bordering the right hand side of the field (only c 150 metres in total). Listen for the hissing begging call is my best advice. All the best.

Thank you so much, really appreciated :t:

If your going by Sat nav just put in Little Hill Droitwich ,park up and cross the foot bridge turn right . If you need help pm me but working so will be after six.

Thanks Sureshot, parked at church and walked down the towpath, got to the 'jumper' in the hedge and beyond but didn't see or hear a thing today..:-C

Cuckoo still here this morning 06.30 but not as vocal as before. 30m past the jumper going away from the church 5m up a oak tree both parents still heavily feeding.

The Grasshopper Warbler sang a few times this evening from 9:20 pm. Whitethroats and Sedge Warbler also seen in Coney.

Grey Wagtail by overflow weir. 20-odd Swallows and a Sand Martin roosted. About 30 Swifts over and Noctule bat.

A juvenile Tawny Owl (begging call) near Porter's Mill yesterday evening.

6 Glow worms seen this evening - all along the grass verge of the Romans Way. Other insects seen earlier included 2 Marbled Whites and a Scarlet Tiger Moth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back