• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

black bush robin and Rofous bush robin (1 Viewer)

ammadoux

Registered doux
Hello All

black bush robins, Cercotrichas podobe. are breeding residents in western Arabia, and the Hail region in middle of Arabia. but they usually when they come a to place to prepare for breeding they leave after that, so usually those who come to my region come by September and leave at the end of February.

Rofous bush robins, Cercotrichas galactotes, are three races , the race galactotes, breeds Eastern Arabia, but no record for it to breed here in the west, but some numbers of the familiaris, race winters Jeddah.

most of those who come are passage migrants from three races, usually come on April and then return on September.

so in all m years of birds watching in my region i have not seen them in the region at the same time, only this year because a young bbr came to my region since late July.

and first time i see how the bbr interact with shrikes, as at first i thought they might do like little sorrows and weaver and would hide, but i saw them interacting with them with no fear, but also no fighting or chasing them away as the bulbuls do.

in short this is the first time i see how the bbr interact with migrants, and i was really surprised to see its attitude with its closest cousin the the rofous bush robin, Cercotrichas galactotes, it just can't stand it, and kept on chasing it away when ever it sees it coming close to where i put food for the birds, it kept on scaring it also form coming to the water plate.

in the end the Rofous chat left after only 5 days, usually they would stay for 18-25 days, the one that came last April stay the longest to my record 25 days.

usually the black robin is a of nice and friendly nature towards the other region residents, like the bulbul, sparrows and weavers.

Attachments

• bbr2.jpg
    bbr2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 63
  • RBR6.jpg
    RBR6.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 61
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back