• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (27 Viewers)

An excellent idea - and exactly the way I hoped they'd be using the twitter account

Most people have access to the internet ( and therefore twitter ) on their mobiles now, somebody could type a quick twitter update and within moments everyone could get the update - then those within the vicinity could get onto the birds that were the subject of the update

Might save people like me having to be a pain all the time :)

Mal Skelton

PS. Is the Garganey still about - heading back to Spurn in about an hour

Some random thoughts about Spurn tweets.

You have to bear in mind that the mobile signal can be pretty poor at Spurn. I've tried to tweet when at Spurn, but it hasn't always been possible to send them at the time they were written!

Perhaps the person running the Spurn tweets isn't there all the time, which would make comprehensive all-day tweets pretty difficult.

If day visitors tweeted what they saw or heard over the radio, then you still wouldn't have that info if you didn't follow them! For instance, Dave Tucker tweeted what was around at 6.30 today, but if you don't follow him, you won't have seen his tweet!

I'm sure there's a lot more that could be said...

Some random thoughts about Spurn tweets.

You have to bear in mind that the mobile signal can be pretty poor at Spurn. I've tried to tweet when at Spurn, but it hasn't always been possible to send them at the time they were written!

Perhaps the person running the Spurn tweets isn't there all the time, which would make comprehensive all-day tweets pretty difficult.

If day visitors tweeted what they saw or heard over the radio, then you still wouldn't have that info if you didn't follow them! For instance, Dave Tucker tweeted what was around at 6.30 today, but if you don't follow him, you won't have seen his tweet!

I'm sure there's a lot more that could be said...

Surely an appropriate hashtag would be all that's required to get the appropriate info eg #spurnbirds.

Not being a tweeter or someone who has a smartphone I don't really know what the discussion is about. However there is now @yorkshirebirds. Be the first to post.

two showy groppers down the wharfe this evening, pair of barn owls, usually migrant fair..

Went out to the site this afternoon, no groppers or owls but did find blackcap, whitethroat, chiffchaff and a single buzzard across the river that the focus lock on my camera couldn't find, I got a lovely picture of a dark blob.:C
Have plans for returning tonight or tomorrow, dependent upon 'she-who-must-be-obeyed'.

A long range forecast so this will probably be disproved and shown up as a load of cobblers. Wind switching to south easterly on friday with a 40% chance of rain overnight on saturday/ early sunday. Here's hoping for Saturday.

Having a bit of a goose week on the local patch - Egyptian Goose on Calder Wetlands this evening. Also finally picked out my first House Martins of the year down there. A Goosander was a bit of a surprise - they all cleared out weeks ago.

Don't know if you have set off yet mate but Tawny not been reported on BG since Thurs. Dotterels still present yesterday though. Good luck

Cheers, set off at 9.00 this morn. as you say no sign of TP but the Dotterels were showing well. Bit too far for decent pics, but got shots for the record. Dipped on White Tailed Eagle at Ruckland by 15 mins, and dipped the Prat at Immingham by 1 hour. Still, gotta be satisfied with 1 out of three. The biggest disappointment tho' was in a ten hour birding day covering 155 miles in Rural Lincs I only managed 3 Kestrels, ten years ago that figure would have been nearer 20.

Bempton Cliffs:

Went to Bempton today. Good showing of seabirds including some of puffins back on the cliffs.

Plenty of tree sparrows and linnets present which was a pleasant change, and also gropper and corn bunting seen. Wryneck and redstart both reported from hedge parallel to main path towards the cliff edge, but I saw neither.

Tony

Went out to the site this afternoon, no groppers or owls but did find blackcap, whitethroat, chiffchaff and a single buzzard across the river that the focus lock on my camera couldn't find, I got a lovely picture of a dark blob.:C
Have plans for returning tonight or tomorrow, dependent upon 'she-who-must-be-obeyed'.

Barn owl was out a bit later tonight, as were the groppers and none of the other either...

Bempton Cliffs:

Went to Bempton today. Good showing of seabirds including some of puffins back on the cliffs.

Plenty of tree sparrows and linnets present which was a pleasant change, and also gropper and corn bunting seen. Wryneck and redstart both reported from hedge parallel to main path towards the cliff edge, but I saw neither.

Tony

Got there a bit later and was a bit luckier than you Tony, walked around to the back pool and saw the Gropper then some commotion on the Car Park was caused by this bird feeding on Ants at the bottom of one of the large posts around the park (Excuse pics but I've only got a compact).
Cheers Joe ;)

Attachments

• P1000298.JPG
    P1000298.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 96
  • P1000318 copy.jpg
    P1000318 copy.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 118
Just for you Joe, glad to see you've got that computer fixed at last. Sorry but the pics are too big so cropped a couple for you. Off to Tetney tomorrow for the Dotterels and Tawny Pipit.

Nicely manicured lawn Dave; the Storm cock and Songie look good too...:t:
Joe

some from today.....

quality not great couldn't get close to any of them.

Attachments

• d1.jpg
    d1.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 45
  • p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 38
  • l1.jpg
    l1.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 43
  • t1a.jpg
    t1a.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Got there a bit later and was a bit luckier than you Tony, walked around to the back pool and saw the Gropper then some commotion on the Car Park was caused by this bird feeding on Ants at the bottom of one of the large posts around the park (Excuse pics but I've only got a compact).
Cheers Joe ;)

nice one JoeB :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back