• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (21 Viewers)

Rock Bunting

Not really any walking involved. If it's the area near the start of the uphill path, then it's just over the bridge near the stepping stones before the ford and the money tree.

You'd think it would prefer the open ground on the moor higher up rather than the wooded valley. The ones I've seen abroad have usually preferred this type of habitat.

What a record!

We were out yesterday evening watching roding woodcock and observed some interesting behaviour. We quickly realised that there were two birds roding in the same area (based on frequency and direction of flight) and eventually we saw two birds flying side-by-side with quite a lot of noisy vocalisation - this happened a couple of times during the period of observation. Does anyone know if this is likely to have been two males engaged in a territorial spat? We wondered if it might be otherwise be a male and female engaged in some kind of pair-bonding.

Anyone got any insight?

Not really any walking involved. If it's the area near the start of the uphill path, then it's just over the bridge near the stepping stones before the ford and the money tree.

You'd think it would prefer the open ground on the moor higher up rather than the wooded valley. The ones I've seen abroad have usually preferred this type of habitat.

What a record!

Shame, I was there on Monday and could have had a look around.

Skipwith Common, Bank Island, and Wheldrake Ings

Had a top day out around Skipwith Common, Bank Island, and Wheldrake Ings yesterday.

Skipwith Common - Highlight was a singing tree pipit. Unfortunately no reptiles seen (it was a bit chilly first thing, and I've never been much cop as a reptile hunter anyway), but great views of stoat and roe deer.

Bank Island - Greenshank and Wood Sandpiper. The Lapwings obviously under a great deal of pressure from predation by crows here.

Wheldrake Ings - A couple of hobbies about and 5+ yellow wagtails from Swantail. Loads of garden warblers along the path, plus the other usual warblers. No lesser whitethroats or groppers heard, despite some guidance on the latter, though it's difficult to hear anything when that wind pump is going (it sounds great though, very mournful).

All the best

Last edited:
Redshank with rings

Interesting Redshank at Spoonbill Flash, Fairburn this aft, it had 4 rings, 2 on each leg. The right leg had red above black plastic rings and the left had black above what looked like a metallic ring (looked brassy).
Also one of each Ringed Plovers was a nice comparison, Cuckoo on wires, M Harrier above stacks and several Whitethroat and Wibblers.
There were c20 Swift flying over stacks, in what looked like family formation squadrons.
Joe

Interesting Redshank at Spoonbill Flash, Fairburn this aft, it had 4 rings, 2 on each leg. The right leg had red above black plastic rings and the left had black above what looked like a metallic ring (looked brassy).
Also one of each Ringed Plovers was a nice comparison, Cuckoo on wires, M Harrier above stacks and several Whitethroat and Wibblers.
There were c20 Swift flying over stacks, in what looked like family formation squadrons.
Joe

Report the redshank here Joe
The Wader Study Group collate all records of colour ringed waders.

Really chuffed with my local patch bike ride this evening. Took in mainly Pugneys - loads of swifts screeching low which I find a great spectacle. Not too much else about but then as I started to head towards the river my evening turned even more enjoyable - listening to the reeling of a Grashopper Warbler.

Put the bike down and just sat on the floor, it started up again but could I see, could I hell!!! I must have been sat there nearly an hour and then a flick of a branch and I saw it moving up a bush, finally came out into the open and started reeling again, really worth the wait. It eventually dropped down even closer to me but out of sight, few minutes later it flew deep down into some bushs to my right, listened to one more reel before bidding it goodnight.

Cycled back through Calder Wetlands with the light beginning to fade, plenty of sedge & Reed W singing away, couple of Oystercatchers on there. Headed back home and to my surprise as I cyclyed by I could hear another one reeling in the scrub over the road from the Red Kite pub!!!!!

Nosterfield Quarry 1400-1700
Lingham - Common Tern, 6 Avocet, 16 Common Ringed Plover, ~20 Shelduck
Flasks - adult Whooper Swan, 2 Common Sandpiper, 1 Avocet (possibly missed one in flight from Lingham), 2 LRP, Grey Heron
Kiln - Little Stint dancing amongst 6 sum plum Dunlin, Common Sandpiper, 10+ CRP and possibly 2-3 LRP, 2 Egyptian Geese
Plus the usual.**

Glad you like it Andy. I can sit and read some of his walks and relive them in my head as they are routes that I have walked many times.
It's just a shame about the tufted duck picture...it ain't a tuftie. My guess is the proof-reader and the editor were not birders, and some minion grabbed an incorrectly labelled library shot.

Swinemoor

I had a quick look on Swinemoor last night-still some good birds around including temmincks stint, wood sandpiper, lrp and white wagtail.
Went this morning -no sign of any other waders apart from lapwings chasing everything away.

For anyone interested there are more shots on the blog.

Attachments

• untitled-3.JPG
    untitled-3.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 125
  • untitled-11.JPG
    untitled-11.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 117
  • untitled-6.JPG
    untitled-6.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 77
Cock Fight & A Pair Of Partridge

007.jpg

Partridge001edited.jpg

never been to swinemoor, was that shot from a hide? what a photo of the temminck's!!

Yes-of a fashion-my bag hide.
Swinemoor is a large meadow area between the river Hull and Barmston drain.
There are various pools dotted around but most of them are dried up-there is just one wet area left and the waders seem to congregate around there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back