• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (45 Viewers)

I've had plenty of red kite flyovers with sparrowhawk and Kestrel for the raptors. Six finch species but greenfinch has almost disappeared while goldfinches are plentiful. Heron and cormorant flyovers and all the resident thrushes. Haven't counted redwing as that was left by the cat.
I don't count the "heard only" so that rules out tawny owl, whitethroat and chiff chaff and the night time flyovers purely because I can't identify a lot of those though I did hear but not see some swans flyover last winter.

I don't count the "heard only" night time flyovers

This is really good fun, when I put the dogs out for their final wee of the night I always spend a bit of time listening out for birds, very good for wildfowl and waders especially during the passage/winter periods.

Garden listing is great fun!

Best garden birds for me were, several buzzards, dozens of kestrels, hundreds of tawny and little owls,several perigrines, about a dozen merlins, and one honey buzzard,
4 short eared owls, breeding barn owls, blackbirds, thrushes, finches. doves pigeions,and several kingfishers,one tame barn owl, robins, I have a record chart for over forty years and in fairness I was a licenced Rehabilatator, and ran a bird rescue centre for over forty years. now trying to get my book finished. MC

Sounds pretty good!!

My best garden birds are Siskin, Redpoll & Reed Bunting. Not too bad for the middle of an estate. I expect that to climb as i have planted tons of trees annd bushes and built a pond. I expect Mr Flowers might have some corkers on the subject of a garden list.

Weirdest Garden bird was a Red-legged Partridge. Live in the centre of Cottingham c3/4ml from any farmland.
Also had a v.low Common Buzzard, a Treecreeper, Marsh Tit, occasional Siskin, Brambling and Blackcap. Had a Waxwing from my bedroom late last year.

When I lived in Birkenshaw my best was Ring Ouzel. It was a quiet period for birds nationally, and I headlined on Birdline.

I remember texting my brother and getting him to ring and checkout the headlines - lol.

It wintered from January until early March.

At the current house in Wetherby - Red Kite regular, Buzzard, Oystercatcher, and a regular small flock of Yellowhammer each winter. Latest addition a female Bullfinch a few days ago.

eep! thought it was summer :eek!:

summer was cancelled due to a scheduling problem at seasons are us, they've buggered it up completely and stuffed 2 autumns in to fill the gap.

as for garden listing i use jane turners rules, i.e. anything which can be identified using scope at max mag goes on it

eep! thought it was summer :eek!:

If you've been out birding recently you'll know that birds view the seasons a bit differently:-O

Here goes, some targets for the next few months -

Sociable Lapwing (being sociable with Northern Lapwings in the LDV would be nice!
Wilson's Storm-petrel (off Flams maybe or perhaps someone will organise pelagic trips a bit further offshore in Yorks waters?)
Solitary Sandpiper (there are inland records in UK, we get lots of Green Sands passing through sites in Yorks, so who knows!)
Blyth’s Pipit (long, long overdue, a likely one for Spurn I guess, but anywhere on the coast could turn one up!)

Of course it will be none of the above and something completely random, though plenty more options to choose from!

If you've been out birding recently you'll know that birds view the seasons a bit differently:-O

Sociable Lapwing (being sociable with Northern Lapwings in the LDV would be nice!
Wilson's Storm-petrel (off Flams maybe or perhaps someone will organise pelagic trips a bit further offshore in Yorks waters?)
Solitary Sandpiper (there are inland records in UK, we get lots of Green Sands passing through sites in Yorks, so who knows!)
Blyth’s Pipit (long, long overdue, a likely one for Spurn I guess, but anywhere on the coast could turn one up!)

Of course it will be none of the above and something completely random, though plenty more options to choose from!

Are these the commonest birds that are missing? Cant believe Wilson's hasn't made it. The advances in Blyth's ID must make it a very good candidate but I fancy North Gare for it somehow.

One of the yankee wood warblers... hardly any records on the east coast so plenty to choose from.

No Yorks records for Northern Parula yet?

Are these the commonest birds that are missing? Cant believe Wilson's hasn't made it. The advances in Blyth's ID must make it a very good candidate but I fancy North Gare for it somehow.

Amongst them. There was an article in Yorkshire Birding the other year where several birders were asked about likely predictions but I can't remember what was in it – maybe someone could scan it.

Other 'missing' stuff includes, amongst many others:

Sooty Tern just got to wait for one to get into the North Sea and a good chance off Flams no doubt
Black Scoter maybe but we don’t get the number of scoter flocks off the coast that we used to, how about an inland bird with a passage flock of Common Scoter?
Eleonora's Falcon possible (but ID retrospectively from photos posted on BF probably)
Sora seem to like random places and must be overlooked in UK due to their habitat preference
Wilson’s Snipe probably pass through amongst the thousands of Common Snipe going through the county
Greater Yellowlegs will no doubt occur at some point
Brünnich's Guillemot bit of a long shot, maybe a coastal corpse somewhere
Buff-bellied Pipit possible given the number of Mipits that go through the county from points west….
Siberian Rubythroat must be in the offing given the increase in eastern Palearctic vagrants; based on our geographical position then that applies to any of the mouthwatering ‘sibes’ not yet on the Yorks (or British list)

Plenty to go at really:eek!:

One of the yankee wood warblers... hardly any records on the east coast so plenty to choose from.

No Yorks records for Northern Parula yet?

There's only the Flams Blackpoll Warbler on the Yorks list I think and east coast records of American wood warblers are like rocking horse ****, though if Black & White can end up in Norfolk who knows.

Maybe one of the obscure Yank sparrows will jump ship at Spurn - Song, White-crowned & White-throated, Dark-eyed Junco are 'on' the Yorks list so it will have to be something good to be a 1st....

Sorry to be a pain but if anyone on here goes to Blacktofts today please can you report on here if the Marsh Sand is still there and at what time etc. It was reported on birdguides at 9.15am. Ive got a reet evening ahead of me with various other stuff to do, so if its done one......

Thanks again.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back