• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Older Kowa 66 series—when the ED glass show up? (1 Viewer)

I am considering picking up a demo tsn 662 to go with an extra eyepiece I have. I am wondering if this model has ED/Prominar glass, or if it’s just standard glass. I tried asking Kowa but the website form seems to be glitching for me. I have read various things on the internet ranging from “exactly the same as current 664M” to “standard glass” regarding this model. I have a 602 already, but if the 662 has ED glass I would be interested in comparing them. Thanks in advance!!

From memory, the 662 was standard glass whilst the 664 had the "XD" or better grade glass. It had the red ring around the body to donate a higher spec but wasn't labelled "Prominar".

Last edited:
From memory, the 662 was standard glass whilst the 664 had the "XD" or better grade glass. It had the red ring around the body to donate a higher spec but wasn't labelled "Prominar".

Exactly, model ending in 1 = plain glass angled, 2 = plain glass straight, 3 = ED glass or fluorite angled, 4 = ED glass or fluorite straight.

Models with a fluorite element in the objective tend to bear the moniker Prominar - at least it's that way with spotting scopes...

Joachim

I got an interesting response from Kowa:

“Good morning-

Thank you for reaching out to us.

For the differences between the two scopes, the main one is that the 664M is waterproof with the eyepiece attached. The 66M also uses a more current eyepiece that is optically a bit better but as far as the overall glass composition it is the very similar.

Thank you and have a great day,

That is interesting but I take the view that having sold these from when they were first launched , the differences then were very noticeable. At that time, you could choose wide angled fixed magnification ( x 20 or x 30 )eyepieces as well as the zoom. All the bodies 661/2/3/4 were gas purged. The higher glass versions were pretty good (my opinion) when used with a fixed mag. eyepiece.
Someone at Kowa needs a history lesson.
Regards.
P

Well you’ve already answered my next question. If the differences are noticeable then I am probably much better off sticking with what I have. Thank you for bringing your expertise to the discussion

The coatings are better in more recent models,both in the scope and the eyepieces.This improved contrast and apparent sharpness ,no doubt,but If you are going to upgrade from a decent view,then go a bit Up and get an ED model when you can..a used tsn3/4 or a 613/4 would be all improvements over your current model,not so expensive either and compatible with that extra eyepiece you have

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back