• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue tit nesting behaviour (1 Viewer)

Hello This is the first time we have had blue tits nesting in our box. We have 7 live chicks out of 9. 6 eggs hatched on 4th May and the last chick 6th May. We also have a camera for the first time. Mum came back to the nest tonight and left it shortly afterwards at 20.30 and has not come back. Can anyone tell me if this is unusual? Thank you barrie/gill

That's good to hear Barrie/Gill.

You'll know when they're about ready to fledge I guess, when they start flapping their wings and jumping around the box; and maybe looking at the entrance hole.

I presume if the nights are warm, they don't need to be brooded, especially when they've good feather cover.

Thanks for your reply Dela, we worried she wouldn't be back.Some of the chicks look huge now and are flapping their wings there are three much smaller ones, nest cup is getting crowded now, hoping for the best as the little ones fight their corner.

Eggs not hatching

Hi guys,

We have a camera in our bird box and my blue tit laid her eggs over a month ago and we fear they aren’t going to hatch. However, we are a little concerned for her health as she rarely leaves the box to get food and we’ve only seen the male once or twice. We don’t want any harm to come of her.
Do you have any advice.

Thanks

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back