Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mr. Buckley in some "Buckleyi Birds" …

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 14th June 2019, 08:51   #26
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

A Monograph of the Hirundinidae or Family of Swallows (1885–1894), bound in two volumes, was Originally issued in 20 parts, (including some double or treble numbers) between Sept. 1885 and Oct. 1894.

The dates for each publication are unknown to me, but it seems unlikely that those pages, with "The late Clarence Buckley" (in vol. 2), was published in the earlier part of that period.

This far I don't think we've got any closer to his Death than it happened in the mid-1880's, not closer than; "Clarence is still listed in various street directories in London in 1885" (Jan's post #9), and "late" in -87. In about those years.

/B
Old Saturday 15th June 2019, 08:23   #27
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

A bit overdue, but let's return to the debated/questioned Portrait of Mr. Buckley (as of post #19, 20–21) ... well, Martin, what can I say, but: Good job, well done, thanks!

So the other guy; "William Buckley (1814–1888)", that suddenly disturbed this thread, is/was a "William Buckler (1814-1888)"!?!

Clearly, after having studied those Photos, the features of the guy in the painted Portrait must be the ones of Clarence (the enormous sideburns excluded), no way the other guy could have looked anything similar. It's Clarence Buckley all right! ... or should one say; it's all (Vane-) Wright! [alt. yet another Portrait, this time a Photo (of an old descendant, for Jan)!]

I almost feel sorry for Simon Fenwick (the Author of A Guide to the Archives of the Royal Entomological Society, 2002); wrong guy, and wrong spelling/name. Awkward ...

If the horticulturist at Rollisson's Nursery, Tooting, was or is, equal of any William/Wilbraham Buckley/Buckler (1814-1875/1888?), if he (or they) ever went to Ecuador, or not (and even as such, in some way, could be included, in the exploration/Natural History of South America), is far, far beyond my scope (and I will not try to trace that/those guy/s).

I´ll simply stick to the Birds in my list (too many, too much left, running short of time).

Björn
Old Saturday 15th June 2019, 12:27   #28
Taphrospilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calalp View Post
[i]
The dates for each publication are unknown to me, but it seems unlikely that those pages, with "The late Clarence Buckley" (in vol. 2), was published in the earlier part of that period.

I think it is not that easy just because it appears in Vol II. See here about publication history.

We have to find which plate Atticora Cinera was. And it is plate 96 which was published Dec 1890 (Part XV).

Last edited by Taphrospilus : Saturday 15th June 2019 at 15:21.
Old Saturday 15th June 2019, 17:28   #29
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taphrospilus View Post
We have to find which plate Atticora Cinera was. And it is plate 96 which was published Dec 1890 (Part XV).
Martin, if you look at the Appendix to the Genus Atticora (here), for the Andean Swallow "Atticora cinerea (Gm.)", where "The late Clarence Buckley" was mentioned (in text), you'll see that it was published in 1892:

"Add :— ... pt. xv. (1892)", all in line with the Catalogue entry (your first link, post #28, p.579): Part "XV, ... Aug. 1892", thereby nothing new.

By then dear old Clarence had been late/dead for some years.

Björn

PS. "Dec 1890" is for Pt. XIII-XIV.

Last edited by Calalp : Saturday 15th June 2019 at 21:48. Reason: missed "
Old Monday 17th June 2019, 07:20   #30
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Sidetrack to the buckleyi birds ... (mostly on behalf of Martin/"Taphrospilus").

Regarding the collector of the Type of the Little Woodstar/"Die Hummelelfe" (Acestrura) Chaetocercus bombus, GOULD 1871, that you've been working/dealing with (in German Wikipedia) I think we can be pretty certain it (as well) was collected by Clarence Buckley ...

If we follow some of the other locations [other than (the Río/El) Citado], mentioned in Gould's Paper from 1871 (link in #15); Baños, (Río) Ulva, Canelos, Santa Ines ...it might be noteworthy that the lizard Leposoma buckleyi O'SHAUGNESSY 1881 (here) was collected by Clarence Buckley at Canelos, Ecuador (also see p.141, in the same Journal, here, where he'd also collected the Moth Castnia erycina WESTWOOD 1881, in Eastern Ecuador), as well as the butterfly Hyalenna buckleyi LAMAS & WILLMOTT 2006 (here, p.446); holotype collected by Clarence Buckley, at Tungurahua, ‘env[irons] d’Ambato’ (Ecuador), not far from Baños.

Or here; collected at “Pallatanga and Canelos”, Ecuador, or here. Note also that Pallatanga was one of the collecting sites where the same, "the late Clarence Buckley", collected some of Boulenger's fishes (as of post #25). And onwards ...

Thereby I assume Gould's "Mr. W. Buckley" (1871) simply was a mistake (a typo alt. Printer's error), and that it ought to have been "Mr. C. Buckley".

For what it is worth.

/B
--

Last edited by Calalp : Monday 17th June 2019 at 08:09. Reason: typo
Old Monday 17th June 2019, 08:25   #31
Taphrospilus

@ Björn: That's what I thought as well but you provided further evidence. Thank you.

Just want to mention that Buckley was a second time in Ecuador (if not already mentioned here but if # 1 says first journey indirectly yes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calalp View Post
Only from his first journey to Ecuador Clarence Buckley sent 5000 butterflies to William Chapman Hewitson (of which 200 was new to science!). In the Elementary Text-Book of Entomology from 1892, he is mentioned as "The well-known Mr. Buckley”. In spite of this I haven´t been able to find much more of him and his life …
We can see this in the title of Descriptions of six new species of Elateridae, collected by Mr. Clarence Buckley during his second expedition to Ecuador by Edward Wesley Janson. Of course it does not bring us any closer. Must be in 1878 as here is written:

Quote:
Mr. C. Buckley, during his recent second expedition into the eastern valleys of the Andes of Quito has obtained a series of birds many of which are of great interest, ...
But just as a guess maybe he died in Ecuador and is therefore that hard to trace his death?

Last edited by Taphrospilus : Monday 17th June 2019 at 08:52.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: