• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Breen Ancient Oakwood! (1 Viewer)

Thanks for this. I used to go there in the 1980s when there were no paths and it was hard to find. Clearly it has been spruced up since then and it is time I went back. I had some magical walks there but there was only one track up and through. One time in June I heard and saw cuckoo where the wood ends and a field begins. I came to the gate and he was sitting calling in a single tree, got probably the best views I have ever had. I hope the cuckoo still calls in the area but maybe it has gone from there as well? Used to look for wood warbler, pied and spotted flycatcher which were rumoured to breed but never saw any of them. It is firmly on my to-do list for the spring, followed by a fish supper on the pier at Ballycastle.

Glad you enjoyed that Derek.

I only recently began spending regular time in the wood & taking photos & video clips, so I haven't had a chance to spot summer Flycatchers, Warblers or the Cuckoo. However, you can be sure I'll be watching out for them all this Spring & Summer.

We live on the other side of the glen & we get the Cuckoo each year, so I'd be hopeful that they still visit this wood too & I'm certainly hoping to get a few interesting photos, as the seasons come around.

I spent 3 hours in there this morning, during heavy snow & got some nice shots & clips of Red Squirrels & a couple of a Jay ... I feel another video coming on. ;)

Cheers,
Dick

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back