• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Will they survive? (1 Viewer)

Jaison

I rented a house in January and there were no birds in the garden. We only have a few houses around and they are some distance away.

Over the course of several weeks we started to get visitors. They liked the food and kept coming back!

Our guests all had babies and now each day we have 40 sparrows of various types, finches, long-tailed, blue and great tits, four blackbirds and a thrush. There are also 4 hooded crows, some magpies and a jay. All come each day.

I am moving in a few weeks and I am worried about the small birds and whether they will get enough food now they have come to rely on a regular supply. I am only moving the other side of a big field, a few hundred yards away. But how do I tell them where I am going?

I am hoping to sneak back to feed them when I am able until the house is rented out again. I was wanting some advice as to whether this is a good idea or whether it is better that the food just stops. Will they go looking for another home or will they stay and try to forage for natural food.

As far as I can tell most of the birds we have are a result of multiplication and have never needed to eat anything other than what we provide for them.

Any advise/reassurance would be appreciated.

Jaison

Just put out a birdfeeder at your new site and birds will fly over. They will certainly not starve, they are already knowing where berry bushes in the area are and visit them regularly. They will probably visit the old site as well, but there is nothing wrong with that. If there is absolutely no food there they will just fly around until they reach your new feeder. The winter just started and most birds wander around in flocks anyway.

Thanks for your reply.

It's nice to know that you think they will be alright.

Hopefully their instinct will take over and they will figure out what to eat instead. I was worried that I had looked after them so well they might not adjust very well.

I'm actually going to live 500M away so doubt they will come that far in searching. There are other houses nearer but in a different direction.

Jaison

Don't worry Jaison - I'm sure they'll be OK. Tit flocks seem to do a daily circuit of quite a big lap, so they'll no doubt find your feeders pretty quickly.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back