• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A cat *in* the birdbath!! (1 Viewer)

AdrianB

Earlier this year we added a bird bath to the garden. It's in a beaut spot and seen a number of birds drinking and bathing much to our delight.

This morning however before dashing off to work there was a neighborhood cat *IN* the birdbath!!! :eek!:

Need to do some serious thinking about how to get rid of the cat and find a more suitable spot.

It's about 2-3 foot off the ground - however the are rocks near the side of it. I guess an adventurous cat could leap from the rocks to inside the bath.

I never dreamed of such a thing...

Next time I'll make sure that camera is ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
Categorically can state that cats, in their very specific habitat preferences, never venture onto or near either birdbaths or birdtables. This is the conclusion of many hours of careful observations and can is supported by photographic evidence, as seen by reference to my avatar. ;)

Last edited:
I have more than one bird bath but don't worry.Cats don't like water.
It was probably only drinking.I have seen them at mine - not often though.
Keep the gun handy Ha Ha o:)The cats that come into my garden have knocked two of our bird tables down in an attempt to catch birds.

Got to tread carefully here or we'll get into trouble.
If the cats that came into my garden only came to drink....I'd be happy. o:)Your bird bath is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love your avatar Jos! :'D

The birdbath will remain under close guard (when I'm home). Don't worry I won't be baiting, trapping or shooting it :frog: . I'm one to relocate spiders and flies!!

It's bottom was perched on the edge, front paws in the water.. leaning forward drinking. Occasionally, it would left one of the front paws out, shake it then place it back in.

Wonder what there will be next? I'll probably wake up and find the birdbath being used by kangaroos!! ;)

Curiouser and curiouser said Alice....

I obviously have chilled out cats! They'll have a drink out of the birbath - but they're not interested in the birds and anyway - the birds are way too smart to get caught out when the cats are about

Kiscokid said:
I obviously have chilled out cats! They'll have a drink out of the birbath - but they're not interested in the birds and anyway - the birds are way too smart to get caught out when the cats are about
I think it's great that your cats don't find the birds tempting but many others do .The cats that come into my garden do it - to attack the birds.They lie under the feeding tables or deep in the bushes and they are excellent bird catchers.They are so agile and intelligent ,Thats why I am trying to find a solution that doesn't harm cats but on the other hand will protect the birds.
I could stop feeding the birds or stop encouraging them into the garden but I don't want to go down that path. o:)

How about a fench, that would make it where the cat has to jump over it because it couldn't get through it and then the birds make a quick getaway. I haven't tested this because my cat hasn't killed a bird since November, but I must say that I'm giving him to someone Sunday, then my b-day is on Monday. I'll miss him a bit, but he's going to a good home.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back